Irish Wayfarer News: Wayfarer Southern Championships, Cullaun, 2020
“The club have made the difficult decision to confine this year’s regatta to local sailors only, so it is with regret that I have to announce the cancellation of the Wayfarer Southern Championship in Cullaun for 2020. We are conscious that the fleet may not wish to travel and the committee wanted to give you plenty of notice. We will be happy to host the Wayfarer fleet next year. The decision was not made lightly but health and safety is a priority. I will truly miss meeting you all but I fully support the committee’s decision.
“I do hope you are getting to sail and enjoy the water. I am so glad we got to meet last year and look forward to when we can all meet again.
“Wishing you all the best, stay healthy and well and KEEP RACING safely!!!”
Entries now open for Wayfarer Nationals 2020
Our new membership sticker is now here!
Thank you to all those members who voted in our June e-News: our new membership sticker is now here!
A sticker will be sent out to each new member as they join the UKWA. Those who have joined in the last few days will receive theirs inside their Summer edition of Wayfarer News.
These stickers can be stuck on your Wayfarer or on the outside of your car window.
Wayfarer Family Gathering Update
Those who have prepaid for this event will receive refunds in the next few days so none of our attendees will be left out of pocket.
We would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a peaceful and safe summer and look forward to seeing you on the water as soon as possible.”
-Mark and Julie Foreman
Racing Secretary’s Ramblings
Racing Rules Videos
1. A short video from UK Sails (a large American sailmaker) about Rule 18.3 (tacking in the zone)
2. A short video from UK Sails about the tactical considerations of Rule 18.3
3. RYA Racing Rules – Introduction to the Racing Rules
4. RYA Racing Rules – The Start
5. RYA Racing Rules – The Windward Leg
6. RYA Racing Rules – The Marks Part 1
7. RYA Racing Rules – The Run
8. 3 Golden Rules for Tactics
More Open Meeting Cancellations…
Additionally the Medway Marathon has been postponed – the Club (Medway YC) will try to reschedule the event for later in the season if at all possible.
Nipegegi Round Britain – RYA Dinghy Show talk now on the net
Hope everyone is coping okay out there, a bit of light lockdown relief for you, the RYA filmed our talk at the dinghy show in Feb and they’ve put a bit of an edit together, so if you fancy checking it out please follow the link below:
Best of luck for the months ahead and take care.
Will Hodshon, W198
UKWA Honorary Life Member Greta Plowman – 1919 to 2020
Though none of her family were able with her when she died, she was not alone. Her kind carers were helping her open an early birthday present from her younger brother. They turned away for a moment, and turned back to find she had gone – without a sound or a stir. She died with sunshine streaming in through her window and transparent new beech leaves unfurling outside.
Her burial, on Thursday 21st May, will be at a green woodland cemetery in the Chilterns, attended by only some of her extensive family.
We would ask you not to send flowers, as her burial will be very simple, with flowers from her family’s own gardens.
However if you wish to make a donation to charity, there are these two charities:
- Medicins Sans Frontieres
- World Wildlife Fund
We are sure that Greta would prioritise these two from the many she supported, for the crucial work that they carry out around the world, caring for humanity and for the environment.
Boats and their equipment are potentially vulnerable to theft and vandalism in unusually quiet dinghy parks and compounds at the moment, and we also have a responsibility to other boat owners in case of (for example) strong winds, which regularly cause boats to topple onto adjacent craft.
This is simply intended as a timely reminder, not to cause anxiety. Please contact CraftInsure or UKWA (details here) if you would like any further information about Wayfarer insurance.
Recommended Sailing Videos
- Poul Ammentorp has shared with us a video from the 2003 International Wayfarer Rally on the island Malö in the Eastern archipelago of Sweden taken by Inga Vekslund, where “we were blessed with a high pressure with blue sky and warm summer sun and light wind every day for a week”:-
- Simon Rowell on Meteorology:-
- Will and Rich’s talk at the RYA Dinghy Show 2020 about their record breaking trip round Britain in Nipegegi:-
- Michael McNamara demonstrates his super smooth roll gybes and roll tacks:-
- Boat Speed Fundamentals from the RYA Dinghy Show 2020 by Jonny McGovern, Luke Patience and Chris Grube:-
- Downwind Sailing Tips:-
- Strategy and Techniques by Nick Thompson, Olympic Laser sailor (and two time World Champion) but mostly applicable to Wayfarer racing as well:-
- Sailing Fitness – Warm Up:-
West Oxfordshire Open – CANCELLED
The Association will work with Datchet Water Sailing Club to see whether the Inland Championships can be scheduled for later in the year either at Datchet or elsewhere.