Forum Replies Created

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AUTHOR
    POSTS
  • #29580
    Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

    The bad news is that it’s still leaking. Slower than before…

    I’m going to check the ends and joins of my glass work and put another thin, oversaturated topcoat on then Gelcoat the new section to ensure a watertight seal. I used to be a laminator, making climbing walls, and although a bit rusty am fairly secure if my abilities to get some decent glass down. Messier than I used to be though!!

     

    I’ll also be flipping the boat to take off the keel strips. I thought that was going to be avoided but seems not.

     

     

    #29446
    Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

    To add, I suspect there is a crack along the centreboard case corner. I will remove the rubbing strip and investigate. But I didn’t have sufficient manpower to flip the boat where it was.

     

    Ill add this to the to-do list!

    #29445
    Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

    I think I’ve fixed it! Although not had the chance to get it in the water since…

     

    On the starboard side there was a strip of very rotten wood along the side of the centreboard case at hull level. This had a very thin layer of glass over it. I’ve removed this and scrapped out the rotten wood.

     

    A couple of large beads of Sika and several layers of glass have been put down in its place. I have the port side a good prod too, that seemed ok but has a couple of layers of glass on it too now.

    She will be in the water again next weekend so fingers crossed

    #29212
    Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

    A bit of fettling over the weekend revealed some interesting things…

     

    the main one being the starboard side wooden trim that runs alongside the centreboard casing was rotten and sodden. There was a thin skin of glass over the top of it, which was easily removed. Plenty of poorly saturated glass low down in the centreboard casing. All looked a bit rough. So…

     

    A fat bead from a tube of nearly expired sika flex has been squeezed along there now. I’m going to glass a strip all the way along to secure and double waterproof it. Then turn the boat over and see what other delights await there!

    #29188
    Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

    That’s a brilliant and detailed reply (and exactly the sort of advice I’d hoped to get) thanks so much for taking the time to type it out. It looks like the boat will be heading into the lawn next weekend then.

     

    Ill post back here here once I start exploring:-)

    #29069
    Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

    I fitted one last week and couldn’t easily slide it in from either end. Not without removing various rivers etc.

     

    Luckily unscrewing both screws on the backing plate as far as they would go meant the plate would just fit in to the narrow part of the slot – at angle. Once in it could be straitened and tightened.

     

    It was an unbranded one from an eBay seller, so not sure how easy it would be to find another. And the mast is an olden golden proctor.

    #28843
    Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

    The traveler on my mk1 composite W2713 is mounted on the top of the transom and is a long way away from the rear buoyancy tank. But I guess the point about possible rot is worth investing

    #28842
    Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

    I can take some tomorrow but am also very much a novice and in a similar position.

     

    I have 2713 which was the second last registration of 1970.

     

    I have a genoa with a roller reefing and a small jib which clips on to the forestay.

     

    #28797
    Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

    Hi Sean. I like your surname too!

     

    im looking forwards to some more regular local sailing and some away trips too.

     

    I love ullswater so will will check out the meet. Although we may be in Scotland for a few weeks in the summer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)