LATEST NEWS: Forums General Your first memory of Wayfaring

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Al1955 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR

Al1955

Well lets start you all off then.
    What is your first memory of Wayfaring.
    Mine is going with my father to Moores at wroxham to collect the hull and kit of wood parts to complete a composite Wayfarer in 1972.

RayS

1979 London Dinghy Show – hence discount, Moores kit boat, plastic fantastic Mark II. Never looked back!

Anonymous

Beat you Ray – 1978 London Boat Show – Moores kit boat, plastic fantastic Mark II! Only looked back when Blue Jay was behind me (for a change) last week!!!

Richard

Fantasia

I first sailed a Wayfarer at Crosshaven in Cork Harbour in the Summer of 1970 on a two week course with Bosham Sea School. A long gap followed until my return to dinghy sailing from yachts in 1995. It had to be a Wayfarer so I bought W8800 a Mk2 SD. This gave me the racing bug at Emsworth Slipper SC so that I progressed to my current Porter Mk1 woody and H.I.S.C.

My first memory was when my father bought No 71 in about 1959/60, and on the way home the wheel of the new trailer started to come apart and he stopped the car just in time, blocking the notorious ‘Bagshot Lights’ on the A30. Trouble was having not liked being made to crew in a Firefly when v. young, I was refusing to ever get into a sailing boat again – ever. so I didn’t actually ever sail in her nor in anything for another 40+ years… but as you all know ever doesn’t always last for ever, and when Matthew (‘monkey on the stick’ is the polite version) was too big to fit into his Cadet and I had spent 4 years watching, we bought 9322 to race together (race because the safety boats would be out!!) and now we are enjoying 8200 so much and clocking up hours of sailing, and maintenance. I found a snap of Wayfarer 71 recently and to my amazement she was exactly the same shade of blue as 8200 ‘Cordon Bleu’ 😀

Margaret
    ‘idiot in front’

My first memory of wayfaring was teaching others to sail (aged 18) in Dover Harbour, after taking my A levels. Great fun, although I do distinctly remember the time they took my crew off, told me to carry on sailing, they’d bring another crew out, then took a while, as the wind got up to rather interesting when sailing full sail single handed. I was quite relieved to get the extra ballast!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.