Latest News: Forums Technical Woody (180) – Resealing transom seal, varnishing and painting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Peter Measey
    Participant

Hi, I have wayfarer no:180 that I’m fettling over this winter. Although the transom seams seem pretty good I want to redo them as a bit of water has got under the varnish, what’s the best way to do this ? I’m also going to re-varnish, what’s the best way to get existing varnish off and what is then the best varnish to apply ? Same with paint, what’s the best ? I want to do her up properly so quality more important than cost. Thanks all ?

Bob Harland
    Participant

Hi, there are lots of opinions on all of this, here’s mine;
    Removing old varnish – down to bare wood: a sharp flat narrow scraper to remove anything that is fairly loose, then power sander. Sand by hand where access is difficult, but powertools plus lots of sanding sheets are my 1st choice.
    I also have the Bahco type tungsten carbide blade scrapers in the tool box, which can be useful – though it’s easy to damage the wood with these.

If you have got down to bare wood, then epoxy followed by 2 pack polyurethane.
    If coating existing varnish/paint 2 pack poly paints/varnish cannot be coated over conventional paint/varnish – so check what the existing varnish/paint is – this may limit the options.
    Always follow the manufacturers guidance on surface prep and coatings. Also check the temperature requirements.
    Have something to practice on – such the inside of a hatch cover.

It is also worth creating a dust free environment if you want a decent finish.

I tend to use International because they have a range that covers all our requirements, but all the main brands should be fine if the prep is done well.

Hope that helps

Peter Measey
    Participant

That’s brilliant, thanks very much for your help

Jerome FR – W447
    Participant

It’s so boring to wait for Moderation because I include two pictures in my message above, 2 days ago…
    May you help, please?

Jérôme

Jerome FR – W447
    Participant

Hi Peter and welcome!

That will be great to treat well that W180.
    What is the current state of the boat?
    Do you have it for a long time?
    May you share with us some pictures?

I’m a bit forward to you, but not very far.

[IMG]https://www.le-temps-des-series.com/photos/202201/164141981182209.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://www.le-temps-des-series.com/photos/202201/164141981182209.jpg[/IMG]

I will use International to varnish it
    and Epifanes when painting the hull.

However, I will not do this before the Spring.
    As says Bob, most of Varnish and paint need 15°C and above to be done.
    If you put it at lower temperatures, it will not dry and remains sticky.

Jérôme

Jerome FR – W447
    Participant

Here is where I am, Peter!
    Not far forward to you!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.