Latest News: Forums General Wooden Racing Boats?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Fantasia

Sadly, due to health issues, It looks as if I shall not be racing my lovely wooden Mk I Wayfarer much. I am changing class to sail a small wooden keelboat (Victory). This makes me think about what to do with her. She (Fantasia) is one of those rather special Porter Brothers epoxy ply boats built in the 1980’s. Before the advent of the Mk IV these were the business for racing. I notice that many who used to own one of these boats have now moved on to a MkIV, I also know that these boats make an ideal conversion to a cruising boat.

I would like an opinion on whether these boats still have a market or attraction nowadays, or does everyone want fibreglass? To whom have others sold their lovely wooden boats?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best wishes, John

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Wooden Wayfarers like yours John have a good roll to play in the class and should be more appreciated.
    The more discerning sailor will see that they have character and charm and can in lots of ways be easier to look after by a diy owner than grp.

Bob Harland has got one, and he know’s what he is doing!!!

His article on what he did to the boat when he got it makes good reading and shows that for a cruising owner it is a very good option.

They are well made boats as you know John, so have many more years ahead of them, better made than the very early boats in the class as the ply is lighter but better made. The use of Epoxy is a great improvement for the wood and gives extra shelf life to the boat as a whole.

You can change fittings and items on the boat with more confidence and a good varnish coat gives you pride in the job.

Your need time for a wooden boat but it will reward you with a goodlooking boat which you will be proud of.

So yes they have a place and market, it maybe a smaller one these days but if people can see what they would getting in return and that these boats will never be built like this again, they will see that, in most cases it would be a good move to make in buying one.

bigal

Best wishes John ,you’ll be a loss to the Class . Hope your great-looking boat finds a good home !

Fantasia

Thank you Colin and Alan for your comments. Fantasia is now for sale, link: http://wayfarer.org.uk/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=3&sobi2Id=318&Itemid=234

w170

Can anyone tell me how to find Bobs’ article which Colin refers to on what he did to his Woodie please?

Puffin2

Hi, It’s on the home page under cruising and then ‘set up & equipment’, Keith.

w170

Thank you Keith

Fantasia

@Fantasia wrote:

Thank you Colin and Alan for your comments. Fantasia is now for sale, link: http://wayfarer.org.uk/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=3&sobi2Id=318&Itemid=234

Fantasia is now sold and off to Devon

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.