Latest News: Forums Technical Wooden mast and new sails

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • AUTHOR
    W844

Hi all,

I have a wooden mast in great condition which I absolutely love, despite the effort needed in maintaining it. For the first time ever, my prep for this season will include a new main. Very excited.

My current main is fixed foot and both the foot and luff are constructed of bare rope. I am interested to gather views/experience (before I speak to sailmaker) on whether I should stick with this ‘design’ and get a main with a open luff rope. My initial view is that I should get a sail with a covered rope (as in just about every other sail I’ve seen), but I am concerned that the abrasion within the track may cause excessive wear and tear. Whilst the track does appear to be smooth, there will undoubtedly be more wear when hoisting/lowering main than in a metal mast section.

I would also be interested to know if sliders are considered a suitable option. I’ve not seen them used on dinghies (apart from foot ) but this would eliminate the problem rapid wear of the luff. Not sure if this is a step too far. Similarly, I assume there are no issues with specifying a main with a slider the clew (e.g. class regs etc).

Thoughts?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.