Latest News: Forums Technical Wood work

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Branflake

Hi,

I’ve had to remove the varnish off the decks of my Wayfarer. Water has got under it and the wood is wet.

Thought this was best to let it dry out, its all undercover so cant really get wet again. Its a mark 1 wood/grp hull.

My question is what do i do next? Once its dry do i just varnish it again? Should i use something else?

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks,
    Mat

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Mat,
    You need to get the deck as dry as possible before you start putting anything on top as well as making sure you have removed all the old varnish from the grain of the ply.
    What is the state of the join between deck ply and gunwale? This is where water is most likely to get in in future. After my first re-deck I routed a channel along the joint and glued in a strip of pale hardwood to seal the join (and look good).
    Three options I think: –
    1. If you want to return to a conventional coat (varnish), I would start with a coat of Universal Clear Primer from International. Pricey, but a very good base, and then continue with a reasonably hard wearing varnish. Many advise against polyurethane varnish, but I have had good success with it in the past.
    2. An epoxy based finish. A good start would be SP Systems Eposeal. It is thin and applied coat over coat so it soaks in very well. At some stage you have to let it go off though and will therefore have to wet or dry the surface to provide a key for SP 320 epoxy over the top followed by a UV resistant varnish.
    3. I did my new decks in Ultravar. It is a two pack epoxy varnish, very tough, first coat thinned with solvent 15%, second coat 5% and four more coats applied coat over coat within the cure time. Very hard wearing, but hasn’t cracked anywhere on joints. Certainly saves alot of rubbing down, but inevitable more dust gets on it. You should either wait for summer though or get the boat in a garage and heat it up.
    Hope this helps,

Branflake

Hi,

Thanks for the information, i think im going to go for the same approach as you have.

The joint is very good and i think its only one place where its got in that way, its just lifted i think as you can clearly see two different types of varnish. A very brittle one with a newer stretchy layer on top. Its also got the hardwoord strips. Well i’ve removed a bit more and its all drying well.

One other question the underside of the wood has been painted white and thats all coming away too, should i leave it with no paint or remove all that and then paint again?

Thanks again Matt 🙂

Mat

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Mat,
    I’d recommend getting it all back to bare wood and starting again, even under the decks. I found it much easier to deal with the undersides by turning the boat over and resting it on trestles.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

(I’ve been renamed!)

Well i’ve got most the sanding done now so will move on to getting some coats of varnish on it soon. Have decided to go with the International varnish (2 part – Perfection). Made a good choice?

Why cant teak oil be used on ply, would it not protect it the same against water? Wasn’t going to use it just wondered why.

Thanks,
    Mat

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Mat,
    Teak oil I think will not prevent water soaking into the joins and end grain of the ply. I haven’t any experience of Perfection, but I suspect it is fairly similar to the stuff I used. My boatbuilder friend was sceptical of using hard varnishes as they are less flexible and would crack with boat flexing. I haven’t had any problems like that. If you are working outside you will need a warm day I think – these varnishes aren’t very cold and damp tolerant.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Matt,

I think my plan is to get the boat in the garage and just warm everything up a little then wait for the best day humidity wise.

Thanks for all the info on this btw.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.