Latest News: Forums Technical wish list for anew Wayfarer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • AUTHOR

We are all eagerly (?) awaiting the new Hartley Wayfarer.

Would it be presumptious to start a wish list for the new version?

In another posting “Just the crew” pleads for a double floor to improve the self draining qualities of the boat. Not a bad idea, although I would always be suspicious of bouyancy that relies on the air-tightness of an enclosed space the top of which will be walked, stamped or jumped upon and subject to a lot of abuse.

If there was a double floor then this might be able to brace the centreboard case sufficiently to enable the builders to propose a removable thwart (as in the new version of the Wanderer) which would greatly improve the comfort of the boat for the cruising fraternity (especially when trying to sleep!).

Anything that reduces the boats dependancy on air bouyancy that is also used as stowage space would be welcomed – there seems to be an inherent contradiction between the concept of airtightness and accesibility. I rather like the removable “picnic boxes” as seen on the Wanderer.

And any modification that makes the boat easier and cheaper to be build should be encouraged – as long as the savings are passed on to the customer!

Any other suggestions?

Gordon DAVIES
    W 9228

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kinder decks for hiking would be nice! Curent design doesn’t half dig in to the backs of your thighs.

mattL

I would want some way to get a grip on the side of the boat if and when you do a wet capsize (we all do them, though some not completely on purpose) because if you either have a matt bottom (no shine) or a perfect mirror finsh it is very difficult to get a grip on the boat to get yourself onto the centreboard to right the d##n thing. It gets even harder if it is early in the year when you do decide to capsize and go for a swim.

RayS

At the last UKWA meeting, held Monday 18th September Richard Hartley summarised progress for a new Wayfarer. The design will allow for a racing boat, a cruising boat and a family boat representing the three main markets.

The hull shape will of course be the same for all. The racing version will be the driver for the hull shape, which will be ‘as fast as the fastest Wayfarer but not faster’.

The racing version will be extremely stiff to compete successfully with wood boats.

Special attention is being given to the capsize characteristics. The boat when capsized should have minimal tendency to turtle and the centreboard should be at any easly accessible height. When righted the boat should be stable and water should clear easily.

The price will be driven down to match the latest designs and the quality will be top drawer. The interior layout will look superb to match any of the latest designs.

To achieve all this Richard Hartley has brought in Phil Morrison, who many will know is the leading exponent of dinghy design.

And yes, all comments on the forum and elsewhere have neen noted!

Just requires a genius like Phil Morrison with Hartley’s backing to get as close to all our wishes as possible!

Ray

G.ORilla

As per previous messages on the other forum, with a change of spar manufacturer, consideration should be given to fitting a GNAV instead of a kicker. It is already allowed in the class rules (nothing says “no”), only mast section construction wont allow it. Maybe not possible, but both cruisers and racers will appreciate the extra space and there is no performance advantage.

Anonymous
    Inactive

gnav would be nice indeed, however prob is likely to be that you’d need lowers (i.e. an extra set of shrouds attaching to the mast at around gnav height) to take the forward force up where the gnav joins the mast. bug*er up your spinny hoist!

G.ORilla

…..But there are a lot of boats out there a similar size to the wayfarer that have gnavs but don’t need lowers. You are right, though that it exerts a force on a bendy bit of the mast instead of the bottom. I still think that the idea should be seriously considered.

G.ORilla

@8848 wrote:

Kinder decks for hiking would be nice! Curent design doesn’t half dig in to the backs of your thighs.

What’s all this “hiking” thing then?? đŸ˜€

Anonymous
    Inactive

But there are a lot of boats out there a similar size to the wayfarer that have gnavs but don’t need lowers

What boats are they?

G.ORilla

RS Vision is one. Topaz vibe is another. I don’t think that the Musto skiff has lowers either. The Topper Omega does, but I am not sure about the Xenon

Anonymous
    Inactive

Musto skiff does have lowers, so does Xenon and Omega. Vision and Vibe have somewhat smaller mainsails I think. If you wanted gnav on a Wayf and no lowers then i think the mast would have to be very heavy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I converted my 3000 from kicker to Gnav, and raising the lowers from the gooseneck to the new strut attachment point was certainly essential. Personally though, even as a crew, I don’t think the benefits of a Gnav would outweigh the complications.

On the other hand, I’d love a higher boom! Both when racing and cruising the boom obscures vision to leeward, and I’m starting to lose count of the number of times I’ve hit my head when tacking. Also, despite being only 1.75 metres tall, I still can’t simply sit on the thwart and let the boom pass over my head in light airs.

The performance loss of raising the boom 15cm would be minimal (a Snipe with an incredibly high boom can beat a Wayfarer on the wind – the genoa preserves the aspect ratio), especially if a Fireball-style full width top batten was adopted, which should also help de-powering and sail longevity.

Just a pipe-dream, I know – the change is too great – but one I indulge in almost every tack!

G.ORilla

Yes, you are right. It is all a pipedream. Hartleys will do exactly what they want, provided that it all maximises their profits……………

RayS

… well, he has assured everyone he has spoken to at meetings and shows, until he has gone blue in the face, that what he will be producing is a ‘Wayfarer’, even though in some areas it makes the boat more expensive to produce. He is determined to compete price wise with the roto moulded boats even though they are much cheaper to produce. He does need to maximise his profits like anybody else, but he is also making a big investment too. Ray

G.ORilla

Thanks Ray, 30 years in the oil business has made me more cynical than most. I just think that with both the copyright and the building in one place potentially opens a few unwelcome doors.

However, I will only complain again when my beloved woodie gets thrashed upwind by a new hartley W with a suspiciously long waterline length……….

I just hope all the assurances are worth something, for all our sakes and that of the class. I must have some confidence – just ordered a complete new set of Banks’s!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.