Latest News: Forums Technical WIC Class Rules Changes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Bob Harland
    Participant

Al Schonborn sends the following message:

Please see
    http://www.wayfarer-international.org/WIC/forum_on_possible_Class_Rules_changes.html
    to have a look at my home-made discussion board about five Rules matters that have been raised formally or informally. We are now in the preliminary discussion phase. The proposing NCAs will then need to make a preliminary Rules Change Proposal by 1 Sept 12 which will be sent out to all NCAs for a final polishing period (suggestions for “improvement” from other NCAs) and by 15 Oct 2012 I need to have the formal/final proposal which the various NCAs will vote on no later than 15 March 2013. Any changes passed will then come into effect 1 April 2013.

bigal

Thanks Bruce – but what does that mean for those without numbers on spinnakers at present . Only yesterday I confirmed with P&B that the two spi’s ordered from Shoreham were to be numberless ! Is there to be a dispensation until the new rule is passed ( or is there one in place already ).

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Al, the rules say that no numbers are needed on the spi so you do not have to have them on this year!
    Also, I would say that sails made now and this year could not be asked to put them on later because they were correct to the rules at the time of making.
    CP

bigal

What you say is quite right but it seems that the UKWA is asking whether they should be required – have I missed a vote on this issue ?

Swiebertje
    Participant

@bigal wrote:

have I missed a vote on this issue ?

No, there was an unfortunate omission, that everyone overlooked, when we changed the rules to ISAF standard format. We are trying to correct that error now.
    Because the rules in ISAF format, have been accepted by the members in 2010, we have to go through a formal change procedure.

Currently only the rules about the sails are in ISAF format, the other rules will be converted shortly.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Please have another look for yourselves at the latest additions to the WIC rule changes, it is interesting reading!!!!!
    CP

Some wierd social instinct has made me post on this: I don’t even race! – but I almost certainly will start this year

floorboards – interesting sensible idea. Carbon-fibre floors anyone?
    bouyancy – good common sense. Helms job to ensure boat only has holes in the desired locations. (“If not duffers will not drown …”)
    spinny numbers – pain in the behind really as everyone seems numberless at present. sigh. more expense

electronics:
    more expense! is it really necessary?
    Obviously GPS is absolutely brilliant as a back-up when “real navigation” becomes too risky or just impossible. Is this a concern when actually racing?

This may be relevant: I have an excellent sense of direction (on land) and can remember a route I’ve taken many years later once I’m back on it. This weekend I was playing with my missus’ new sat-nav and used to it find a shortcut between the chandlers and timber merchants in Bristol. Great short cut. But B*****’d if I can remember it now. I got there, but I learnt nothing, saw nothing and focussed only on the sat-nav. Sometimes technology simply deskills and makes us dependent on it.

Surely the whole point of sailing is its the boat, the wind, the water, and your wits. If winning becomes so important that you are prepared to miss the actual experience of the race with your nose on a screen, then I’d say you are welcome to your ?slightly hollow? victory. but then I am a ‘taking part’ rather than ‘winning’ kind of person.

If there is one boat, and fleet which can keep this ethos of sailing alive its this one, surely? Our boat is fabulous, but will never attract hip young skiffers.

Campaign for Real Sail. (pot bellies not obligatory).

Andrew – I like your reply. Where can I join the Campaign For Real Sail?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.