Latest News: Forums Cruising Which outboard !!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Laurie

Hi, can anyone please offer some advice on the ideal (if there is one) outboard for a wayfarer?. I am aware that a 3.5 hp is the maximum power advised but am a bit stuck on whether to go for a 2 / 4 stroke and long / short shaft. I have heard various comments from Honda, yamaha, mariner & Tohatsu owners with their own good and not so good experiences, but thought this site would have more good advice than most.

Thanks in advance.

Laurie
    W1858

W10143

Laurie

Try this: http://wayfarer.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=252&highlight=outboard

Or alternatively use the Search tool and Type in Outboard.

David

Dave8181

@Laurie wrote:

Hi, can anyone please offer some advice on the ideal (if there is one) outboard for a wayfarer?. I am aware that a 3.5 hp is the maximum power advised but am a bit stuck on whether to go for a 2 / 4 stroke and long / short shaft. I have heard various comments from Honda, yamaha, mariner & Tohatsu owners with their own good and not so good experiences, but thought this site would have more good advice than most.
    Thanks in advance. Laurie W1858

Due to emission regulations, standard two strokes can no longer be imported, however they may be available second hand or from existing stock. Two stroke engines tend to be simpler, less bulky, and can turned any way up. Four stroke engines tend to be quieter, do not emit any oily fumes, do not require oil mixing with the fuel, but have to be kept upright or stored on one specific side (as they have their oil in the sump, which has to be kept lower than the cylinder).

Some motors from some brands may share major components with another brand. Some 2/2.5 HP engines are just restricted 3.5’s – you might as well get the 3.5. Once you have worked out which engines are similar the choice is simplified. It helps to have a good dealer service dept nearby.

Most people seem to use a short shaft motor, which may be lowered by a bracket. I find my short shaft motor direct on the transom is OK in estuary conditions, but suspect that in waves it would be better to have the propellor deeper in the water (as the boat rolls, the off-centre propellor lifts).

Dave8181

matoi

On the yahoo wayfarer forum there has been a positive report on electric outboard ‘Torqeedo’ by dpalac. I’ll paste it here for those who don’t feel like going thru the Yahoo registration process.

I bought a new Torqeedo electric motor to help me get out of an upriver boat ramp at the beginning of last season. I bought the Travel 801 version. I’ve gone up to 90 minutes on one battery, though I carry a spare just in case. Pushes little Etude right along smartly

>Hi Dtpalac!
    >Could you please give some more details on the Torqeedo?
    >If you have ever used a gasoline outboard, how would you
    >compare them?

Never used a gas motor. No smell, light weight, easy to use.

>What speed can you get in a W?

I don’t have a meter. I’m guessing 3 knots cruise, 5 knots in a pinch.

>What is the longest time you ran it on a single battery?

90 minutes. Still had 20% of the charge left

>How long does it take to recharge the battery?

Full discharge: 8 hours. Normal sailing discharge (~50%), 4 hours.

>How big/heavy is the recharger (their web site doesn’t mention this)?

About the size of a pocket calculator. Weighs about a half pound.

>Do you find the attachment of the battery and the motor robust enough,
    >particulary with respect to possible water ingress?

Yes. I haven’t dropped the system in the lake yet, but it gets splashed a lot and has not shown any effect. The battery is sealed in the case, so unless the case was breached, there shouldn’t be ingress. The instructions suggest wiping the contacts free of water, especially salt water, before a dunked battery gets used again.

Best regards,

Mato

Swiebertje
    Participant

@matoi wrote:

On the yahoo wayfarer forum there has been a positive report on electric outboard ‘Torqeedo’ by dpalac. I’ll paste it here for those who don’t feel like going thru the Yahoo registration process.

Many discussion have been held over the years and the same arguments seem to pop-up every time. That is why, some time ago, I have tried to summarize all the pro’s and con’s in an essay that has been published on the WIT website: http://www.wayfarer-international.org/WIT/WITindex1.html

popeye

I would recommend a Tohatsu 3.5 4 stroke short shaft. This is the same product as the Mercury and Mariner. I have had one for a while now and found it to be a very reliable quite smooth running little motor. 😀

I recently bought a second hand Mariner 2HP 2 stroke outboard. It is very light, very realiable, and pushes my Wayfarer through the water quite happily – even in the Bristol Channel.

I used ebay and got a good bargain, but you need to be selective what you go for.

Pete

We bought the Honda 2.3 4 stroke (std shaft) last year. Its the first outboard I’ve owned and only used it a few times but so far very impressed. It pushes the boat along nicely even at low revs. I just hang it on the transom with a couple of 6mm ply pads which works ok as I dont want to put a permanent bracket on yet, maybe I will at some point. Only disadvantage of that is I dont think I can sail with it hung on the transom as it would foul the mainsheet so I remove it into the stern locker.

Jonathan
    W8866
    Dumdum

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.