Latest News: Forums Technical Which muscle box?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Dave Barker
    Keymaster

A nice straightforward query – which muscle box is most suitable for a W genoa halyard?

The only one I have seen that has ball bearings is made by Holt (HA4233)and has about 6″ of travel. Is this sufficient?

Thanks.

W10143

Dave

It was on my last boat, but try to get the one with the hook rather than shackle connector.

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

That one is fine and you can add a hook the the fitting , but remember to measure where its going about 4 times before you fit it.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Thanks gents. The change from furling to reefing has more or less forced my hand on this, and may also require a replacement halyard – the luff spar is significantly longer than the luff wire in a normal sail.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave,
    Holt are OK, but Harken are better if you can find one (and afford it).
    Which reefing system have you got?

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Matt – I usually avoid using Holt gear, but the choice in UK for muscle boxes seems very limited – only Holt (ball bearings) and RWO (non-ball bearings) seem to be readily available. I’ll have to look further afield.

The reefing system is made by Bartels – the same system Ton Jaspers has previously described on the Canadian W site. It has a nice slender 2-part luff spar with enclosed 4mm (plus plastic sleeve) forestay.

Anonymous
    Inactive

After last weekends experience I would recomend that anyone with foresail reefing carry a Jib just in case the mast breaks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Dave,
    Like the aerofoil section. I’ll be interested to see it in action.
    Matt

Swiebertje
    Participant

Dave, I just came across your post. I hope you are just as pleased with the furler as I am? I like to hear about your rigging experiences to complete the essay on WIT.
    BTW, Did you also get a sleeve (closed with velcro and hoisted with the spi-halyard) to leave the sail up in the dinghy park?

As for muscle boxes, harken does not make them anymore. I had Porter’s order one with Sprenger (a German company with a dealership in the UK). If you go to their web site http://www.sprenger.de/ you can download their catalogue (10 MB PDF allert). The muscle boxes are on page 94. The quality of most Spengler products I have used is about equal to Harken.

Though Ian Porter advised against it, I like the neatness of a musclebox. But Ian has a point that a cascade system (flat on top of the CB-case) has less sheaves and hence less friction. Harken muscleboxes still show up at boat jumbles from time to time.

Swiebertje
    Participant

@Simon McE wrote:

After last weekends experience I would recomend that anyone with foresail reefing carry a Jib just in case the mast breaks.

The reefable foresail also fits the mast groove and makes a very nice try-sail. See Ken Jensens essay about it on the WIT.

http://www.wayfarer-international.org/WIT/WITindex2.html

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Swiebertje,

Yes, I am pleased with my reefing furler, and the new genoa too. I’ll give you some more detailed feedback via email. I am still undecided about the best way to adjust rig tension – Highfield lever is not really feasible with integral forestay as there is nothing to pull on to ‘help’ the Highfield achieve full tension – but thank you for the information about muscle box options (and alternatives).

As you know I bought my sails from Mike McNamara, and asked him to make a tubular cover for the genoa. It’s breathable and closes with a full-length zip. The only improvement I would make would be to increase the length of the cover slightly.

Just FYI: The RS400 jib uses:

Pulley on top of the jib giving a 2-1 purchase. So the halyard comes out of the mast at the hounds, around the pulley on the top of the jib, and then back to a fixing point a couple of inches above the halyard exit.

The wire loop at the bottom of the halyard is pulled out of the mast just below the gooseneck and attached with a hook to the simple cascade purchase. There is a pulley on the hook; the rope leads from the hog up through the pulley, and to a second pulley. This pulley has the control lines on it that are led out to both sides of the boat, so you can adjust easily on shore or while sailing. Total purchase 8-1.

Cheers, Chris

Hi Dave,
    On our wayfarer we use a cascade system – the loop on the halyard just reaches the hook so we don’t have to pull on the forestay at all, and then once hooked up it is very easy to pull to the right tension We inherited the system with the boat but, having suffered with a stiff muscle box on a previous boat, would always use this system. We can even pull on or let off tension according to the conditions while we are out sailing.
    Being completely non-technical I can only tell you that there are several pulleys involved and the whole is anchored under the thwart but I could find out if you are interested.

just for interest we also have a similar but one pulley system for the main halyard which saves snagging fingers on those rack things usually put onto the mast.

Anonymous
    Inactive

FYI

On my MK11 I have a cascade system. Wire 1:3 from the halyard to the base of the mast then a dyneema 1:3 along the top of the CB case.

If I was doing it again I would not bother with the wire but do the whole lot with dyneema but it certainly works well.

One point is that I’ll probably alter the 1:3 along the CB case to 1:5 next year. My daughter finds the tension a bit much to deal with but with the cascade it’s simple to change and maintain.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Thanks to all for your replies.

I’m still undecided, mainly because it’s likely that I’ll have to redesign the kicker arrangements too, and want to get everything integrated nicely into the boat.

I like the neatness of the muscle box, but I also like the simplicity of a cascade or a ‘blocks’ system.

Hmm…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.