Latest News: Forums General which model?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    waveney
    Participant

I am new to wayfarers and am looking at W8145 , build date 1985 I believe, but it is fitted with two self bailers. Does this mean it is the SD model? My confusion is that I understood the SD was built after1986.

I am sure this sounds like the sort of question only a real novice would ask, but my concern is that the SD seems to be the model with the poorest reputation or perhaps I have got this wrong too. Any advice gratefully accepted.

Davdor7038

Waveny, Welcome to Wayfarer World. If you look in “Rules and Technical”/ Wayfarer Versions (down the left/hand column) you will be able to find more info. All of the various models may come fitted with self-bailers. Most earlier models have removable floorboards The Wayfarer came in a range of Models, both wood and GRP. First made was the MkI Woodie. Up front it has a full height bulkhead with single hatch and removable floorboards. Next was a MKI GRP boat with full height bulkhead with single hatch and removable floorboards. Then came the most common MKII GRP with a half height bulkhead with removable floorboards and just a small access panel into the buoyancy compartment. All the hatches up front give access to what are actually buoyancy tanks which allow access for some storage. All these models also have a buoyancy tank at the back, again with access to allow storage of light items. The SD has, as far as I know, a sealed floor with buoyancy underneath (no floorboards) as well as a half height bulkhead and circular hatch access to the buoyancy tank plus rear buoyancy tank. It may be fitted with self-bailers. Other more experienced Wayfarers may have better info. Hope this is of some use. Davdor

According to the advert (http://wayfarer.org.uk/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=3&sobi2Id=146&Itemid=234) W8145 is a MkII. The self-bailers fitted to a boat like this are designed only for use whilst underway. A ‘self draining’ boat, on the other hand, has its floor raised above water level so that rain water can flow out whilst the boat is on a mooring. Obviously this raised floor must be watertight, so this creates a sealed buoyancy chamber under the floor. The Wayfarer World has the same arrangement.
    The most often cited problem with this is that the boat can tend to invert after a capsize, due to the location of the buoyancy. However in my limited experience most Wayfarers will have some tendency to invert anyway so I don’t think it makes that big a difference. The downside of a more conventional boat, like the MkII you are looking at, is that if you leave it on a mooring you will have to visit it occasionally to bail out rain water. Again this isn’t usually a big problem unless you are planning on leaving the baot unattended for weeks on end.

W8145 looks like a nice boat, good luck!

waveney
    Participant

Thanks to you both for your replies – very informative and I am a step further up the learning curve. I hope to be a proud owner soon and re visit childhood memories of sailing in a wayfarer in cornwall, this time with my own kids.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.