Latest News: Forums Technical What to do with an old Woodie!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AUTHOR
    gpsmout

My boat, W918, dates from 1964, and has at some point been smothered in paint. I’ve begun stripping some off with the intention of restoration to her original appearance. This is clearly going to take a while, but I’d like to know what she might have looked like in 1964, (and I’m curious to know why she was painted all white inside with blue hull and decks. )

While stripping off the paint I’m revealing little “W918” marks that I assume the original builder has painted on the underside of many components, such as the seats, but I can’t find an official boat number anywhere except on the sail. Who might have manufactured the boat, originally, and was this typical of a kit built or factory built boat. Am I right to suspect its a product of the Smallcraft company?

So my query is, what to do to get the wood back to original appearance? The decks seem unusual too, because painted as they are, they are beginning to become delaminated, and checking the underside of the decks, I find no protective finish has been applied. Also someone has nailed them down with pins that are now rusting through the paint. Might I be right in suspecting that the ply used is not marine ply? If the decks have to be replaced, is this a massive job, because if so, I might leave it till the winter!

Otherwise she is a fine boat.
    All comments welcome!

Graham

Bob Harland
    Participant

The Wayfarer International website has some articles on restoration;
    http://www.wayfarer-international.org/WIT/maint.repair.ref/woodie.restoration/W_restore_index.html

hope that helps

Fantasia

W918 was built by John Scott (her original owner) from a kit supplied by Moores of Wroxham, completed and measured in August 1964. I got these details from her original measurement form of which I have a copy being the previous UKWA R&T representative. PM your email address if you would like an electronic copy sent. You should be able to find her official number carved in the inner face of the transom, probably on the port side.

The fact that the inside of the boat has been painted as well as the outside, suggests that there may be some faults hidden by the paint.

Good luck with the restoration.

gpsmout

Despite much searching, the officially stamped number proved to be elusive and remains unfound. What can I do to get an official number on the boat that also looks right for the era it was built? I do have lots of evidence that 918 is the original number as most components have the Wayfarer W and the number 918 hand painted onto the original surface.

Swiebertje
    Participant

For starters, make photo’s of all the little evidences you found during Restoration. Then, assuming you are from the UK, get in touch with Sarah Burgess the class associations secretary, and see if she can dig up some information in her files. UKWA keeps a record of every boat measured. Since every wooden boat measured has its sail number carved in to the inside of the transom (in inch high figures) and your boat has not, it is posible your boat has never been measured. In that case you need to get in touch with one of the class measurers and make an appointment for measuring your boat.

If it turns out that a license fee has been payed but the boat was never measured, you may need to get in touch with Keith Proctor (the son of) who also has a record of every boat that has ever been build under license. If it turns out that a license fee has been payed you only need to pay for a new license plate (a few quid). If a license fee has not been payed, it may be time to make a peace offer with the license holder. He seems to favor a certain brand of single malt whiskey I was led to believe……

Before you make an appointment with a class measurer, measure some key dimensions yourself. That avoids the measurer from having to come back a second (or a third) time. (You have to pay for his travels and hours spent each time). Most measurements are easy to do yourself using the measurement form available on the UKWA web site. An experienced measurer can measure your boat in four to five hours if he has some assistance. (The boat needs to be turned over in the process).

gpsmout

Well, I know W918 was originally measured as Sarah Burgess sent me copies of the original documents. I’ve got plenty of evidence that the boat is W918 from the marks on the varipus parst i’ve removed.

Getting close to finishing now; just applied a coat of SP epoxy resin to the new decking, and working on the interior. may be completed in time for Ullswater in August. Maybe I can get the measurement done then.

bigal

For those not fluent in Dutch I believe the postscript to the last but one contribution translates as ” The Dutch cricket team have left England early “

SeaHolly

Does anyone know if there is a corresponding Australian Wayfarer association – I believe their cricketers also have a couple of weeks R&R!

Perhaps the Dutch might be prepared to give them a warm-up game?

gpsmout

Hello there all those with woodie knowledge.

The picture shown here

is of my centre board, the last item to be restored on W918.
    The question is this: would I be better repainting it, once it was white, or sanding it down to remove all paint and varnishing it as I have been doing with the rest of the boat! shown here;

Finally, I have had to remake two of these these little wood blocks which sit on the rear deck.

Can anyone tell me what they are for?

Many thanks

Graham

w918

PeterW3035

I stripped the paint, epoxied and then varnished my original centre board, it will then be in keeping with all your other wood and you can more easily see any cracks or defects if they were to appear.

I think the blocks are to help locate a crutch frame for a boom tent, maybe others will have other ideas.

Peter
    W3035 Bramble

gpsmout

Hi; re the centreboard: thanks for your advice: you wuld not believe how many sheets of sandapaper I have been through so far, but I do agree with you: it will look better. I’ll let you know how I get on
    Thanks for the ideas about the blocks.

Graham

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.