Latest News: Forums General What do you want for Xmas Grandad,

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Turtill

The kids want to buy me something I actually want. I want some books about cruising in a wayfarer and I have these listed;

Ocean Crossing Wayfarer: To Iceland and Norway in a 16ft Open Dinghy by Frank Dye (1 Jan 2006)
    Dinghy Cruising
    Margaret Dye (Author)
    Sailing to the Edge of Fear
    Frank Dye (Author)

Has anybody anymore suggestions please?

pete

Swiebertje
    Participant

Lee Hughes – The Biggest Boat I Could Afford – Sheridan House Inc.

Turtill

@Swiebertje wrote:

Lee Hughes – The Biggest Boat I Could Afford – Sheridan House Inc.

Yes that goes on my list thanks.

pete

tempest51

Hi Pete or can I call you Winston,

I’ve read the aforementioned titles and for the most part enjoyed the contents. I would question the sanity of sailing to Norway and Iceland, but so be it. Lee Hughes’s book was very disappointing for me as he didn’t complete the mission as advertised, which left me feeling a bit cheated. He never did reply to my email to that effect.
    A book that I found totally engrossing and uplifting was the voyage undertaken by Tania Aebi and described in her book Maiden Voyage, not in a Wayfarer, but in another classic a Contessa 26, which she sailed around the world. She wrote that she started learning to sail only from the moment she cast off in New York. You will love or hate the father who pushed her to complete the voyage.

Happy reading.

Turtill

Many thanks for those suggestions. I will give the list to my grandchildren and all I need is the time to read them:-)

pete

nickgiles
    Participant

Hi,
    When you have read all the books previously listed you might want to consider AJ (Sandy) Mackinnon’s “The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow” a Mirror odyssey from North Wales to the Black Sea. OK it wasn’t in a Wayfarer but none the less remarkable and a delightful read. Sandy’s second book The Well at the World’s End includes sailing adventures and is even more entertaining. That lot should keep you busy till it’s time get the Wayfarer out again!

Best wishes Nick Giles
    Lizzie B 9922

matoi

Just a few days ago I discovered that Ian Proctor wrote a book – “Sailing Strategy” (published by Adlard Coles). Of course it was impossible to leave the bookshop without it… While the title might suggest it’s something of narrow and specific interest to racers, in fact it talks about the nature of wind and currents in a way that is approachable and useful for everyone. The only sin is that the cover page presents a photo of some 470s instead of a fleet of racing Wayfarers. In spite of that it’s a perfect companion to the Wayfarer book.

Turtill

@nickgiles wrote:

Hi,
    When you have read all the books previously listed you might want to consider AJ (Sandy) Mackinnon’s “The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow” a Mirror odyssey from North Wales to the Black Sea. OK it wasn’t in a Wayfarer but none the less remarkable and a delightful read. Sandy’s second book The Well at the World’s End includes sailing adventures and is even more entertaining. That lot should keep you busy till it’s time get the Wayfarer out again!

Best wishes Nick Giles
    Lizzie B 9922

Many thanks Nick. I will add that to my list.

pete

Turtill

@matoi wrote:

Just a few days ago I discovered that Ian Proctor wrote a book – “Sailing Strategy” (published by Adlard Coles). Of course it was impossible to leave the bookshop without it… While the title might suggest it’s something of narrow and specific interest to racers, in fact it talks about the nature of wind and currents in a way that is approachable and useful for everyone. The only sin is that the cover page presents a photo of some 470s instead of a fleet of racing Wayfarers. In spite of that it’s a perfect companion to the Wayfarer book.

That goes on the list too thanks.

pete

admin

Two books
    Practical Dinghy Cruiser, Paul Constantine. ISBN-978-1-907938-01-6. A sample is available to look at http://www.authorsonline.co.uk
    Sailing just for fun high adventure on a small budget, A.C.Stock. ISBN 0 9538180 6 3
    Happy Xmas
    Jamie – Josh6042

Turtill

@Jamie6042 wrote:

Two books
    Practical Dinghy Cruiser, Paul Constantine. ISBN-978-1-907938-01-6. A sample is available to look at http://www.authorsonline.co.uk
    Sailing just for fun high adventure on a small budget, A.C.Stock. ISBN 0 9538180 6 3
    Happy Xmas
    Jamie – Josh6042

Yes they are now on the list thanks.

pete

admin

I recommend Channel Crossing by Sebastian Smith. It is his story about buying a Wayfarer and learning to sail by trial and error, developing confidence and ability with the aim of making a single-handed channel crossing to France.

I too strongly recommend the Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Channel-Crossing-Voyage-Across-English/dp/0241140773

admin

Atention All Shipping is a good read too, one for by the fireside when there is snow on the ground. It is a chapter per Sea-Area and the author Charlie Connolly visits each one and tells some of the history and folklore relevant to each.

It’s not about sailing, or even Wayfarer sailing, but you have to maintain a balance, don’t you?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Attention-All-Shipping-Journey-Forecast/dp/0349116032

Turtill

@Mike Summers wrote:

I recommend Channel Crossing by Sebastian Smith. It is his story about buying a Wayfarer and learning to sail by trial and error, developing confidence and ability with the aim of making a single-handed channel crossing to France.

I too strongly recommend the Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Channel-Crossing-Voyage-Across-English/dp/0241140773

They are definitely for the list thanks.

pete

Turtill

@Mike Summers wrote:

Atention All Shipping is a good read too, one for by the fireside when there is snow on the ground. It is a chapter per Sea-Area and the author Charlie Connolly visits each one and tells some of the history and folklore relevant to each.

It’s not about sailing, or even Wayfarer sailing, but you have to maintain a balance, don’t you?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Attention-All-Shipping-Journey-Forecast/dp/0349116032

That is a maybe as I am more interested in the sailing a wayfarer topic but many thanks.

pete

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.