Latest News: Forums Racing Weymouth Internationals

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • AUTHOR

Thanks you to everyone who made last week so great, most of the Northern Irish contingent arrived home this morning, tired but happy. The UKWA organisers, measurers, admin staff, international committee, WPNSA staff (especially the committee boat crew) and over 200 other competitors from far and wide made this a very memorable week. It is great to see and meet so many people having a good time.

And….well done Michael McNamara!

Trevor
    Hofreki, W10686

RayS

.. and I’ve finally had a chance to produce reports for the websites including Y&Y.
    Ray

Fantasia

Thank you for the reports Ray. It sounds as if you all had agreat time sailing; but what happened off the water? Were there some good socials and are there any images? I hope that my boat behaved herself with her guest crew!

Cheers, John

@Fantasia wrote:

Thank you for the reports Ray. It sounds as if you all had agreat time sailing; but what happened off the water? Were there some good socials and are there any images? I hope that my boat behaved herself with her guest crew!

Cheers, John

Hi John your guest crew behaved impeccably – Jim and Linda sailed beautifully and were excellent company off the water. Your boat seemed to be going well as did various other woodies at the Champs.

The off-water facilities at WPNSA were excellent (although we had to queue for showers and toilets – presumably they will add extra facilities for the Olympics). It was great to have exclusive use of the venue.

Breakfasts and evening meals were excellent – we had all our meals there apart from one evening when the organising committee went to the Heights Hotel for an evening meal. Stunning views over Chesil beach and good food. Highlights of the social scene were the fancy dress Pirate night and the Hog Roast international evening. Lots of singing sea chanties and the Wayfarer song.

We were delighted with the prize giving evening on Friday – everyone stayed on after dinner for the prize giving and the room was packed out.

Another highlight was the daily briefings at 0915 by Race Officer, Frank Newton, which everyone turned up for because they were so good. We must invite Frank to be our after-dinner speaker when we next have a big Wayfarer social event. HIs best moment was his description of his conversations with the naval authorities over underwater weapons trials going on in Portland Harbour. We were asked to keep out of a specified area where the trials were taking place, but at various times people reported that a football chased by a high powered RIB was cutting through the fleet. Frank reported that he had complained to the authorities when yet again the football turned up in the racing area and received the reply – “I am sorry, we have lost control of our missile!”

Check out the latest Y&Y national championships league table before the Optimists push us down to third place (400 optimists plus parents were turning up at WPNSA as we left on Saturday).

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/classes/?s=44

Steve

Liam

Why are we shown as 91 boats when there were 107 ?

Can I add our thanks to all those involved in the hard work to bring such an excellent event together. It was a wonderful occasion and so good to see the class thriving now after such a troubled journey in recent years. It was great to meet up with so many new people to the class as well as old friends from many years of Wayfaring and I need to say a special thanks to some of the organisers for helping get W10740 ‘Nimbus’ ready for us to use in the Champs when we arrived so late and unprepared.
    I still don’t know who is responsible!
    A fantastic week, memories to be treasured and a re affirmation of loyalty to the class for years to come. Roll on Ireland next year!

Liam and Sue
    W 10740 ‘Nimbus’

@Liam wrote:

Why are we shown as 91 boats when there were 107 ?

The league table is for UK national championships only – we had to subtract our 16 overseas competitors

Fantasia

Thank you for the feedback Steve, it sounds as if you all had a great time. I really regret not being there myself now. I am glad to hear that wooden boats are still competitive with the Mark IV, that is just what we hoped to achieve. Do I gather that the Nationals are to be in Ireland next year? If so, I must get the date and fix it in the diary with epoxy resin, I cannot miss that venue.

sailfree
    RayS wrote:
    .. and I’ve finally had a chance to produce reports for the websites including Y&Y.
    Ray

I would like to add one further point to Rays write up and correct the ommission in that the name of the winner of the last race was not mentioned. While its good to sail with greats like Mike MacNamara, Stuart Rix etc (and previously Ian Porter) it has always given me encouragement when a mere mortal wins a race at a big event. I remember the pleasure it gave us at one past event we attended when Alan Chaplin won a race. Significantly the last race at the 2010 Internationals was won by the “unmentioned” Tony Cooper. Sometimes with such outstanding sailors in the Wayfarer fleet we can easily forget the regulars (mere mortals – like you and me) that sail weekly at their club and support a number of the big events so I find it a special pleasure when one of these wins a big race as it gives so many other “mere mortals” encouragement as it means that maybe – one day – it could be you or one of your regular club competitors winning a significant big race.

The one unbreakable rule is that you have to enter to win. Some have suggested that recent years poor attendance at big events was partly due to the fact that the same people always won – well the last race at Weymouth proved that if you are a good regular club sailor then you can also win! Surely its encouragement to us all and with the MkIV we can all have a boat capable of winning. Weymouth also demonstrated that a good helm and crew combination can do well in any carefully prepared Mk of Wayfarer as Martin Collen in W88 proved.

Well done to those that achieved good results at the 2010 Internationals but a big well done to those that achieved better than they expected results especially if it was a 1st!!

PS if this post embarrasses Tony Cooper then learn your lesson and keep behind us next time!! 🙂

RayS

My fingers are duly wrapped! Not a deliberate omission; more to do with finding time to get the report out at all, as people were saying where the !£!*£* is it!

There will be a longer version in the Wayfarer News which I’m working on.

sailfree
    RayS wrote:
    My fingers are duly wrapped! Not a deliberate omission; more to do with finding time to get the report out at all, as people were saying where the !£!*£* is it!

There will be a longer version in the Wayfarer News which I’m working on.

No finger wrapping was intended Ray – you did a good job and its unfair to criticise one aspect of a good report – its your consistant ability to beat us on the water that I really object to!! 🙂

bigal

Moi , Lord Chaplin of Falmouth , a mere mortal ( and worse still in the same category as Tony Cooper )

Oh Sailfree you had better keep clear of Lady Chaplin !!!!

As I said to Tony after the prize-giving the other winners were so famous that his was the only name he didn’t recognise !!

Liam

I need to express a concern already, which is that because it is the Regatta week we are having great difficulty in finding any accommodation which is not already booked for next year. It seems most, certainly those we have tried are re-booked every year by Irish Yotties. Perhaps that can be another item on Mike’s agenda for discussion and negotiation when he travels to the land of Guinness and the best music in the world…….My one regret at Portland….my Irish roots are too distant. Liam McGrath

bigal

Hi Liam – does this include camp-sites ?

Alan

Liam

Hi Alan
    We haven’t tried campsites yet, just a few hotels, B&Bs and hostels in the vicinity.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.