Latest News: Forums Technical Wayfarer World Fix-up Replace Bow Plate

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Peter Roberts
    Participant

I recently purchased a Wayfarer World which needs a bit of work.

The bow plate was damaged so I thought I’d start with that and work my way back from there.

So I purchased a new Wayfarer bow plate Allen Part A4001W from Hartley Boats to replace it.

It has the same part number as my old plate, but the centre piece with the three holes is welded further aft than the old plate.

This means that my old bolt hole don’t match the new plate. I can’t drill new ones as they are very close and I’m worried about weakening the structure.

Has anyone come across this issue and resolved it?

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Have you spoken to Hartley’s about this? Or perhaps Ian Porter?

(P.S. – I hope you don’t mind my uploading an edited version of your photo…)

Peter Roberts
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Dave (and the clearer pic!),

Yes, Hartleys are contacting Allen Brothers about the issue for me.

I figured I’d ask here in case anyone had come across this before.

Bob Harland
    Participant

I fitted out our Wayfarer World, I beefed up on the backing washers on the bolts and was able to put a broader plate in that went over both bolts and had much wider support.
    Perhaps similar is possible on your boat? If so I would say it’s ok to fill the old holes – clean them out thoroughly, then fill with epoxy. Drill out new holes.
    Bob

Peter Roberts
    Participant
    • Thanks Bob. I was thinking of using the old plate as a reinforcement as you described. Can you tell me how the front is connected. Mine has some kind of tube which protrudes a little for the plate to sit on. It looks like a bolt or something has sheared inside.
    Bob Harland
    Participant

Sorry Peter, I don’t think I can help on that point – it’s a quite few years ago, as I recall it was all GRP that I had to drill through.

Peter Roberts
    Participant

I got a better look at the part numbers:-

Old: A4001-W

New: A4001 W

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.