Latest News: Forums Cruising Wayfarer World Cruising and Boat Tents

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • AUTHOR

Can anyone tell me the best way for sleeping aboard on a Wayfarer World? Given the low height of the thwart and the tendency of the transom flaps to leak if any weight is near the stern, sleeping on the floor seems destined to make for an uncomfortable and damp night.

Currently I have the purpose built box at the stern, which is great for storage (such as the outboard) but then makes the rest of the cockpit a bit cramped for a 6′ person and its weight encourages the transom flaps to leak. Are there any other sleeping arrangements, such as additions to the benches that work, or is it better to get a collapsable storage bag for the back to create more room. If so where can I get one and how is it anchored to the boat?

Furthermore what is the best type of boat tent for a World and what frame at the rear do they need? – or are goretex bivvy bags the best bet?

Lots of questions I know, but I am keen to try and find the best possible solution without bulking out the cockpit when crusing, as a World does not have oodles of storage space.

Bob Harland
    Participant

We have been cruising on our World for 9 years.

We have 2 very large dri-bags that are strapped to the aft end of the floor. The straps are made of 50mm webbing and fastened with toe-strap plates.
    NB we specified backing blocks in the moulding specifically for these fittings.
    Most of the gear in the bags is in 2/3 medium sized plastic boxes, so for sleeping, the bags are unpacked and the contents stowed forward. You then have lots of space to stretch out.

For several years we “managed” the transom flaps with some neoprene to improve the seal. But this year we have taped them up – and are much better for it.

This just leaves the problem of rain water coming down the mast – particularly the luff groove. One day I will find a way to seal that!
    Just remember to sponge the boat dry before you put your sleeping bags out. Unless it rains heavily there is enough capacity in the bailer divets – just cover them over with something to keep your bag out. So I don’t see a bivvy bag as necessary, a mat of course is.

There’s really no difference in tents for the World – it’s the same pros and cons as the other Wayfarer versions. The boom crutch will sit on the aft end of the side decks – just epoxy some timber locators on. Rob Wagstaffe is I believe developing a hooped tent – that’s likely to be the best compromise for a Wayfarer boat tent. Check this link
    http://wayfarer.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93&highlight=hoop

Bob

That is very helpful and thank you – do you by any chance have any photos of the layout (straps, boxes and bags etc)? I am thinking of converting from my hard stern box to bags and would like to see how it is done. For instance do you use an outboard and, if so, where do you keep it when not in use? (that is one thing the stern box is very good for). And do you keep the rear seats in?

I have looked at Bob Wagstaffe’s pictures, and the ones his wife subsequently sent me of the hooped tent, and they look very good. Total weight and volume much reduced from the Mark 3 setup which is good.

Bob Harland
    Participant

I will try an post some photos in the next few days.

We don’t carry an outboard, if you look at some of the posts you will see most people leave them permanently on a bracket fixed to the transom.

We don’t have rear seats.

We tend to be a bit minimalist, which is not everyones way of cruising. Even the paddle has to fight pretty hard for a place in the inventory.

Skylark

Dear Adrian
    Once again thanks for the tow to Portsmouth Harbour. As one of more mature years than yourself I am still very impressed by the strength of your bladder muscles!
    Anyway to business: my son & I camped in our World on the Broads cruise in May:
    Rear benches removed two (90L dry bags I think) secured to transom when sailing. Removed for sleeping, head to thwart, feet to transom. Loads of room.
    Transom flaps removed & holes sealed inside & out with duck tape – bone dry.
    However, bailers not watertight so got wet at foot of sleeping bags the first night. Same treatment with tape on the outside just about cured the problem.
    Best wishes
    Graham Lawson
    10004 Skylark

Bob Harland
    Participant

Our bailers do not leak into the boat – one is original (9years) and one is about 3 years old. I am careful to clean off any grit on the outside and inside whenever the boat comes out of the water.

Graham

What do you attach the dry bags to?

W10143

Adrian

I have attached eyebolts through the centre holes of the (now redundant) ‘doorstops’ which hold in the ‘watertight’ box at the transom. I have two eyeplates each side in each of the seat runners, and 2 eyeplates through bolted back to back each side of the seat/front bulkhead join. This gives plenty of strong attachment points all around the boat.

The problem I am trying to resolve at the moment (amongst others) is the question of balance.. with a full drybag across the transom, and outboard hanging off it, it is hard to sail the boat level without the transom digging in.

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

Try leaving the laptop at home!

Jim.Byers

I hav A MK11.SD. The drain tubes have flaps.leaked like yours.
    I cured this by having hatches fitted inside the boat.When perparing for sleeping crew stands on foredeck while I screw covers on.
    My tubes are 5″ diameter. World,s I thnik are rectuanglar so you would need A round hatch big enough to cover drain hole.
    Jim.Byers. Minstral.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.