LATEST: Forums Technical Wayfarer rebuild

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kate Abernethy 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR

Kate Abernethy
    Participant

Hi,

I would like to rebuild my 1973 wooden W3555. It was originally built from kit by the sea cadets at Calshot sailing club. Please may I have confirmation that

1. If all parts are replaced (same construction and materials), the new Wayfarer is still W3555 as the original boat has a certificate?

2. If I just repaired W3555 and cloned it, the numberless clone would never become officially recognised as a Wayfarer?

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Kate

john1162
    Participant

When is a Wayfarer not a Wayfarer?

If all the parts are replaced then it is a new boat. It is all a matter of degree.  The official line is below.

“In pursuance of rules 5.10 and 5.12, it is the responsibility of the owner of a boat which is the subject of major repair or renovation to show that the original shape of the hull has been maintained and that the materials used are as close to the original as reasonably practical and of acceptable specification.”

It might significantly help the owner’s case, for example, if the boat was measured before the renovation commenced, as far as that might be possible. If the boat had previously been measured at some point in its history then appropriate measurements could be checked. Measurement could then be checked and completed when the renovation is complete. Involvement of a class measurer would provide an independent check, but it is important that the measurer should be able to inspect the boat before work commences. Photographic evidence of how the work was carried out might also support the owner’s case.

Major repair or renovation would, for example, be re-decking or new centreboard case or replacing a hull panel. In other words the majority of the boat would be original.

Any clone would not be recognised as a Wayfarer since it would not have been built with the copyright holders permission. Hartley Boats are the copyright holder and in the very unlikely event of a new wooden boat being built it would have to be by permission of Hartley Boats and be built by their designated boat builder. Individuals have in the past tried to get permission to build a wooden boat but have always been refused.

If you would like to contact me to talk through any aspect of the above contact me in the first instance at [email protected]

Kate Abernethy
    Participant

John,

Thank you very much for your reply. It has clarified the approach that I will take – repair W3555 and build new wooden boats other than Wayfarers.

Thank you for providing an opportunity for me to discuss with you. I will send an email about the repairs necessary. I’m hoping that the repaired boat will be of more 1973 wood than 2018 wood.

Best wishes,

Kate

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.