Latest News: Forums Cruising Wayfarer on a mooring !

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am planning on leaving my Wayfarer on one of our clubs moorings. It is on a fresh water river and will be moored bows to the bank.
    The stern will be attached to a mooring bouy.
    I am planning on trying to put the cover on by working from the stern towards the bows.
    I have a very good cleat infront of the mast on the deck and a couple of fairleads. I’m not sure yet how to attach the stern to the mooring bouy !

I will pull her out every now and then and give the bottom a clean off, fouling is not a major problem, normally only a bit of green slime.

Does anyone else leave there wayfarer afloat ?

Hi Paul,
    A previous owner of my ‘old woody’ has fitted a stainless u bolt on starboard side of transom. Approx. equidistant between side of hull/main sheet track/waterline – does that makes sense ?
    Warp is left attached & lead over aft deck to be stowed under side deck loosely coiled.
    Doesn’t foul anything & ready for instant use !!
    Same with forward warp – stowed behind tabernacle.

Another suggestion – ask moderator to move these posts to ‘cruising’ section – may get more advice.

In my 2nd year of mods./improvements specifically for single handed sailing and usually find relavant info. already posted – complete with various options and discussion – excellent !!
    Also, pm me if you want.

Regards,
    Steve.

Good photo – hope it helps boost Witham Sailing Club membership.

Bob Harland
    Participant

If you still have a mainsheet track fitted then that is more than adequate to secure a line to the mooring buoy.
    If you have done away with that and are using a bridle then consider fitting a timber section where the track would have been – an example here;
    http://wayfarer.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=203&Itemid=140

Fitting the cover from the boat whilst afloat sounds like an interesting exercise.

Anonymous
    Inactive

hope this makes sense. We use to use a similar idea on moored wayfarers at the centre I worked at. Get a block of wood that is larger than the hole at the top of the transom. Drill a large hole in the middle of it and through this attach a mooring line. Once the bow is secured, the block is turned, pulled through the transom and then placed over the hole. The added advantage here is the block and line could be left attached to the buoy making for speedy pick ups.

Hopes this makes sense, unfortunately I don’t have pictures.

Martyn

Hi
    I am planning to keep my wayfarer on a mooring in the solent all be it down wooton creek but there are a few good ideas i have picked up from the club boat that also used to be on moorings : if you have 2 mooring line eg not a swing mooring then obviously one is at the bow and one is at the stern the bow line is easy to secure you just need two open fairleads right at the front of the bow then you need a cleat just behind that dip in the small spray delfector on the fore deck ( i am refering to a mk 11 ) then all you need to do is put the line through the fairleads and the loop on the end of the linbe over the cleat. The stern is slightly more comlicated but the line should come up and under the main sheet track ( through the gap where the tiller fits) then down and you should attach a carribena onto the end so that it can be clipped onto a D ring that is screwd into the floor. regarding covers if you replace the underboat straps with shoccord and clips you can then stand on the fore deck and clip the cover to the shouds and other parts of the boat . i hope this helps .

Dom

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.