• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    phlipineck

Well having been a member for nearly six months I guess it’s time to say hello. I made the classic eBay mistake of presuming the photos were current when I bought the now named Lily James. A wooden Wayfarer ready to drop in the water and teach my kids how to sail….ehem. Needless to say that was a year and I have spent that time replacing the transom, stripping the paint and re gluing/re-screwing the hull with Sikaflex and marine stainless screws.
    She is now solid and I am just at the point of filling the screw holes etc with Plastic Padding marine filler. I am going with Jotun paint – SML paints have given lots of useful advice when I couldn’t get on to this forum as a newbie.

My question is …over the filled hull should I do an epoxy layer before the primer. Will it help the hull integrity or just add weight?

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

If the grain of the ply is full of undercoat and primer and the epoxy will not soak into the wood and be absorbed then you maybe waisting your time and money.
    It may float on the top of the undercoat and not stay in place for long and just fall off.

Also ask your paint supplier if its a good thing to paint over with their products, it usually is but!!!!!

I think epoxy is great for new dry ply but is less useful as times goes on and the ply grain gets filled with other stuff! ( Technical Word) CP

phlipineck

Thanks – it’s pretty much bare, but I’m not sure that there is any advantage to going the epoxy route. I think the primer will be better onto the bare wood

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

I have often used a thinned coat of two pot varnish as a first coat on older ply boats, it soaks in well and fills the grain and is hard as nails and can then be painted over with anything. All the best, the good painting weather is coming your way! CP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.