Latest News: Forums General Wayfarer Copyright

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Recent announcements on the UKWA web site confirm that the Wayfarer copyright is being transferred to the new builder, Hartley Laminates. Reasons have been given, and this would appear to be a done deal. So where does this leave the UKWA, and WIC?

Richard

Anonymous
    Inactive

Depending upon how it frames its rules, I suppose that the Class Association is not obliged to accept boats from a specific builder for racing or even cruising membership if it considers them incompatible.

Not a great idea long term, for sure, but as in marriage the relationship between builder and CA can ensure both thrive if it is a co-operative partnership; if either resorts to dictatorship it will likely mean disaster for both.

My view is that a new builder is a great opportunity for the class to grow – the availability of good quality g.r.p. boats at an affordable price is vital to any class.

If the new boats are significantly faster or slower than the present top boats, however, it could be bad news for both sides, and unfortunately the general perception of their speed is more significant than the reality. Talk of the hull form being optimised by Morrison is therefore slightly concerning, though it?s also important to remember that a boat which is optimised for one set of conditions might be worse in others… ?As quick as the present top boats? would be brilliant.

RayS

… very good summary of the thinking behind Hartley’s approach – as quick as the present top boats – but not quicker. In other words to ‘fit-in’ with current racing. Ray

Actually, I would like the new boat to be ever so slightly faster than existing boats. Fast enough so that the top 10% or so of racing enthusiasts will all go out and buy one, but not so fast that they are unbeatable.

In this way a there would be a lot of good second hand boats available, and those that upgrade to them would sell their boats etc. The trickle down effect would stimulate the whole class and, hopefully, attract new sailors.

Gordon DAVIES
    W 9228

Anonymous
    Inactive

Gordon Davies wrote…

> Actually, I would like the new boat to be ever so slightly faster
    > than existing boats. Fast enough so that the top 10% or so of
    > racing enthusiasts will all go out and buy one, but not so fast
    > that they are unbeatable.

Hmmm, that way the top 10% stay at the front, some others with deep pockets might join them, and the rest of us continue to trail around behind as before. No thank you!

IMHO the new boats should be a match for the best woodies, and Alan Chaplin’s +S, but no faster. That’s the only way we can maintain the ideal of a so-called “one=design”!

Richard

The best sailors will stay out front because they are prepared to put in the effort. One part of that effort is getting the best equipment. I would prefer the best sailors sailing “off the shelf” new boats available to all, rather than an ever decreasing stock of reconstructed old boats.

In most other classes sailing a recent boat is not considered cheque book sailing for the privileged few, but is the norm. However boats are sold to aspiring racers, who can be competitive with these boats plus alot of training and effort.

I would be happy to see 20 of the best sailors investing in new boats as soon as they are available, as this would mean 20 good boats moving down the fleet. The difficult part is making a boat that will be a “must have” whilst not instantly out classing the rest of the fleet. Harltey’s have every interst to acheive this – if all recent boats drop hugely in value there will be fewer potential customers with the wherewithal too order new boats.
    A delicate balancing act – Hojo has been doing it at Petticrow’s for years, enabling the Dragon to prosper as an International class.

Gordon
    W9228

Liam

Mmmm! There seems to be a fundamental but IMHO flawed assumption that there are sufficient number of people still interested in the Wayfarer as a racing dinghy.
    Trying to re-establish a fleet of racing Wayfarers at a location perfect for the Class has been quite impossible against the lighter weight competition and lower price too. Thats with 16+ Wayfarers in the boat park, all regularly used, but by cruisers.
    I await with interest the ‘Hartley strategy for the future’.
    Liam

Anonymous
    Inactive

From Hartley’s perspective, if he is to sell new boats for racing then customers need to know that his boats are as good as the best out there. If not there is no market, and that is bad for the class as no newcomers will join for racing. Without the newcomers the class is doomed as natural attrition takes its toll of the existing racing community. Let’s hope that the new design is perceived to be just a little bit faster that what anyone can buy today.

However this logic does indeed assume that there are potential Wayfarer racers waiting in the wings for a competitive and reasonably priced new boat for them to buy. My hope is that such people do exist because Wayfarers fill a niche for heavier than average helms. What else is there apart from keelboats for heavy helms? All trapese classes are ruled out (except double trapeze, which is hardly the same market) because the weight has to be in the crew not the helm. It seems to me that the other 2 person dinghy classes are suited to light or average helm weight.

Support the beer and curry brigade!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.