Latest News: Forums General Wayfarer 50

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I believe that the class (and my Wayfarer) is 50 years old next year. Are there any events/celebrations planned that anyone knows of?

RayS

Yes, the fiftieth anniversary has been discussed over the last year in committee with Roger Proctor The drawings and initial pre-production versions were produced in 1957 with full production released in 2008. So from the UKWA side in discussion with Roger we are taking 2008 as being the 50th anniversary, although as you say there could be a mandate to let them run over two years. 2007 is the World Championships with Rally in Denmark and they may well be doing some 50th anniversary celebrations there. We don’t want to clash with that event as many people will go from the UK. So in practice the anniversary will most likely be spread in events over two years. Please let me know any ideas; always welcome! Venues and organisers always needed! Ray

RayS

… sorry, production on 1958! (not 2008) Ray

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does that make my W (W2) a “pre-production version”, or wasn’t she built until 1958? I had always understood she was built in 1957, but I can’t now remember the source of that information.

RayS

It might be good idea to check with Proctors for a more detailed history, I am sure they would help. Your measurement certificate might indicate the build date, although measurement might have taken place sometime after the build. If you don’t have the certificate Sarah might have a copy.
    Ray

Fantasia

I do not have any measurement form for W2, but I do for W1, which was built in 1958

G.ORilla

……..so I guess that W33 was built in 1958 as well!

Fantasia

I would guess that W33 was built in 1958 too, although her 1987 measurement form does not state a year of manufacture.

We (UKWA) have recently had all the measurement forms of every boat ever measured scanned into electronic format (.pdf format), so it is much easier to search for such details now.

G.ORilla

Hi John,

I was mildly surprised when I bought 33 that the 1987 was the oldest certificate (I still have it). I would be interested to find out a bit more history – apart from what John Parker told me – of the very early years. Any pointers (email addresses – off forum, of course). I don’t want to waste anyone’s time but figured that if the measurement only went back to 87 then UKWA (Sarah) was probably not the place to look.

Any advice welcome, but also don’t want to start an avalanche of enquiries which take up people’s valuable time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A recent discussion with Colin Wilson (owner of W1) has elicited the facts that W1 was built and launched in 1957 as a prototype. The production design was drawn up in the summer of ’57 and production commenced with W2 and W3 in either late ’57 or early ’58. However, no-one has yet to come forward as to the precise date of commencement of production, completion of building of W2 and W3, or their launching, so it is still uncertain whether the 50th anniversary should fall in 2007 or 2008. Is there anyone out there that knows?

Swiebertje
    Participant

Any reason to throw a party is a good one.

Just out of curiosity, when was UKWA founded? Over here we tend to celebrate 5, 10, etc. since association founding rather then the debatable first production date.

Another milestone: When was the Wayfarer accepted by RYA as a recognized (race legal) class?

There is a long list of events to commemorate. You know where to send the invitations….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.