Latest News: Forums Technical Wayfarer 2 hatches

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Len
    Participant

Hi, just joined and recently bought my self a wayfarer !
    Very pleased with her, great little boat !

When I bought her I was told by the previous owner that the front hatch should be left open ?
    This seems counter intuitive to me ??

Also the catches on both hatches don’t seem to be very robust, and I’m not convinced they are sealing properly, has anyone made any alterations to ensure the hatches seal properly ???
    Len

john1162
    Participant

Hi Len,

You do not say which mark of Wayfarer you have bought so I will guess it has a single hatch at the front and a single hatch at the back.

I leave my hatches off when the boat is parked. This allows the seals to expand again having been compressed by the catches and also allows air circulation to help prevent mould and condensation.

There are many catches available and some work better than others. Mine are 49 years old and still work perfectly but I do regularly maintain them.

When sailing hatches must be closed and sealed.

John.

john1162
    Participant

Len,

Go to the forum home page and put hatch seals in the search box to get lots of info.

John.

Len
    Participant

Hi John, thanks very much for your reply and advice.

excuse my laziness , should have started my introduction t, I have a mark 2 (1978) wayfarer, with regards to the advice I was given, I probably misunderstood !

Thanks again Len

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.