Latest News: Forums Technical Water Collection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Help appreciated to remove water from the front bouyancy of our World. I’ve been cleaneing her off since our holiday and find there is water under the forward storage area floor. I can remove the small bung in the back of the area, but no water will drain out. I assume it is meant to run the full length of the boat and out via the small bung at the bottom of the transom. I could siphon it out, but would like to know why it is not draining.

Iain

Bob Harland
    Participant

I remember a similar problem with our Wayfarer world. There is a bit of a labyrinth between the inner/outer hulls so persuading water out can be tricky.
    With the boat on the trolley and the transom held down touching the ground most water should drain out through the bung in the transom albeit slowly. You might need to restore the boat to horizontal, leave the water to settle and then tilt it again.
    If you have inspection hatches fitted then you might find it quicker to sponge the water out. Check the seals and replace if possible.
    If you have not managed to get all the water out, then removing the screws and keelband will probably help – see below.

Water often gets in through the screw holes holding the keel band on.
    Sealant maybe sufficient to cure that. Bit if the hole is fragile then epoxy filler first.

Another candidate is the bailers, but removing the old ones can be a destructive process. So you might prefer to eliminate other sources of water first. Once you have the bailers removed, rake out any loose filler in the hull join and replace with epoxy filler.

hope that helps

bob

John1162

I recall that there are three compartments on the World. The forward buoyancy tank is best emptied using a sponge via the hatch near the mast. The tank that supports the mast can be emptied using a thin tube attached to a pump. I bought a small brass pump designed for draining oil from engines. The rear tank empties through the bung in the transome.
    IF you undo the bung in the centre tank beneath the mast and hope to empty the front tank by tipping the boat backwards you will suceed in filling the centre tank! What a carry on.
    No such problems with a wooden boat!

Swiebertje
    Participant

@John Mellor wrote:

No such problems with a wooden boat!

Woodies are also better if you plan to have a BBQ 😆

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Bob, John. It looks like I have some exploring to do!. I recall now that I did remove the bung John has mentioned, but that water did drain out through the transom hole last winter. No joy this time. I’ll see if I can tip her forwards in case the centre tank has filled. Weekend task number 56!

Iain

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.