Latest News: Forums Introductions W8379 has a new owner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • AUTHOR
    revoli

Hi. New to Wayfarers, new to sailing come to that and up and running here. I am looking forward to picking the collective brains of this forum in my quest to master (ok just be on good terms with) the seas. So far I have acquired said boat, and got on inland water to get the basics sorted on terms of technique and sorting out W8379 to my liking. Lots of work needed to get her to how I would like her. So far I have stripped the boom and remounted what I want as there was lots of fittings either not very secure or corroding the boom through lack of sealant; Replaced and repaired tiller extension and various bits; attacking slab reefing at mo by trying different configs before fixing anything permanent. I must replace main halyard (can anyone advise on best option – I will be cruising therefore want rope but what size type best? Existing appears to be 4mm but 5mm seems to be what is normal. Marlow excel or something? I guess it must be at least 50 foot so will order 60 – can never have too much rope IMHO. What about mast buoyancy? I have not yet done capsize in her – want to be sure everything up to scratch (how secure centre board to prevent disappearing?). So many questions so little time!

Welcome to the ranks!
    Re main halyard: I have tried both 5mm and 4mm, and prefer 4mm as it is less bulky. I used dyneema for low stretch. Feel free to buy as much as you like but you don’t need yards and yards of excess because it just gets in the way. A tangled halyard is a very bad thing when you need to get the sail down in a hurry. From memory the halyard should be about 13m, but a bit of excess would find a use. It’s handy to have enough halyard to let the whole sail drop down into the boat- on some boats the halyard stops short of this.
    Your centreboard ought to be pretty secure and shouldn’t be going anywhere. A chunky rope handle should stop it dropping through the slot, or even better a pair of rubber stoppers will do the trick.
    Buoyancy and inversion-prevention is a problem that can be solved in different ways. I haven’t actually done anything on my boat and I sail on some pretty open water. I did fit righting lines though. Keep the boat dry inside, use a sensible sail plan, and you won’t be capsizing any time soon. There are some threads on the forum discussing the different options.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.