Latest News: Forums Technical W76

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Steve W76
    Participant

Dave, Just admiring your neat transom drains. For some reason W76 has never had any drain bung holes fitted anywhere, but did have self bailers.

Roger, That is actually my shed, not the lounge… I built it for doing my projects in, so heated double glazed etc. I had my old Flying Fifteen in there to restore as well as my classic cars. I have a Triumph Spitfire in the other side.

Back to W76, sourced a good used centreboard case from Matt S. (Thank you Matt.)

Which I stripped back to the case and dropped into place. Note the baton for checking measurements from transom etc.

Then for some steaming, to get the new hog section into shape…

And then a bit of final tweaking, and it all went together millimeter perfect!

Next up, replace the transom.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Thanks – I think! Alarming amount of filler though…

Please do feel free to upload larger (pixel count) photos. Even if you display them within your text at fairly moderate sizes (say, 300 pixels width, or “Medium”), it’s sometimes helpful – as it might be here – if there’s a larger version displayed when we click through to the full uploaded version (enabled by having selected “Link to Media File” when uploading the photo).

I realise I’m in danger of contradicting what it says in the Help section, where it suggests no larger than about 800 pixels wide, which is the width of a forum page, typically. Actually that’s not a bad guide, but anything up to even 1200px where there’s a lot of detail would sometimes be appropriate.

Enough from me. Thank you very much for posting this helpful and interesting content 🙂

john1162
    Participant

Steve, regarding transom drains. If I were replacing a transom I wouldn’t put drain holes in. Mine have been sealed up for years and I have never needed them as my back tank is always dry.

Steve W76
    Participant

Roger, Here are the hatch latches, you might have to squint a bit. They are the same front and rear.

And front..

And don’t you just love the round wooden fittings….

Dave, I’ve gone up to 800 Pixels……

John, I imagine ever since boats were invented, owners have been very worried by making holes through the hull. Somehow it just seem counterintuitive….

Web Team
    Keymaster

Wonderful, Steve – thank you!

Steve W76
    Participant

So, birds eye view of a somewhat sad transom.

Which fell out of place fairly readily.

Enabling me to draw round the old one, and cut a new one.

I tend to only remove the part I’m working on, to ensure the structure retains rigidity. All of my “fashion Pieces” were quite intact, and salvaged and glued back onto the new transom and bulkheads. Keeping the old stringers in place allows me to use the old locating screw holes to ensure that nothing has moved.

More soon…

Web Team
    Keymaster

Chaps – noting that we’re already on the 3rd page with this topic, I wondered how you might feel about me moving this to a forum of its own, perhaps “woodie restorations” or something similar? We could then sub-divide the conversation, making it easier to find answers in the future. I would welcome your advice and feedback.

Dave

Steve W76
    Participant

So with the bulkheads, the ply had failed but the fashion pieces were good.

So trace round and cut new.

Refit the fashion pieces.

Refit the bulkhead, using original screwholes in stringer for reference.

Now I have a fairly solid frame to start rebuilding around.

Steve W76
    Participant

Hi Dave, I’m happy with anything like moving to another section etc. I’m not too clued up on how websites work, so happy to go with the flow. I will continue posting updates as and when I can, if anyone is keen for me to do so. I’ve had the boat for 3 years now, and started work on it about 18 months ago or so. I will continue photographing everything I do, as with all my projects.

Steve

Steve W76
    Participant

Roger, in response to your earlier request below is the hatch fixings fitted to both fore and aft hatches on W76. Not sure I would reuse them, they look a bit flimsy..

Steve

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.