Latest News: Forums Technical W76

• This topic has 92 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Roger.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Steve W76
    Participant

Dave, I can load a photo into my post, but when I click submit nothing else happens. I have reduced the photo to 300 x180, but still no joy.

Steve

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

No, sorry about that. Same phenomenon as Roger – the photo is there in the website’s media library, with your user a/c details associated with it, but not displaying. I’ll delve a bit further…

Steve W76
    Participant

W76 being collected.

Roger
    Participant

Steve W76
    Participant

Gosh, an uploaded photo! Thank you web team.

Roger, does this photo help? Note the very short mast laying on top of the boat…

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Update:-

This seems to sort of work now – with my test user account anyway. You may find that attempts to post photos will trigger a “held for moderator’s approval” flag, or words to that effect. This is probably what was happening before, but it wasn’t evident to anyone, including me – no notifications were being sent! They are now, so I should be able to approve anything held for this reason. I know this isn’t ideal, but let’s see how it works out for a while.

(I have “approved” several of the previous posts but deleted most of them because they were essentially just multiple instances of the same thing. Also the time stamps are all to **** now… )

Dave

Roger
    Participant

Well done Dave, sorry about all the repetition. I’ll try and find something to send to Steve later on today.

Roger

Roger
    Participant

Well that was worth all the hassle, and a big thankyou to Dave for getting it sorted.

Good photo Steve, my boat has a blue hull as well. I think I might stick with it when I get round to painting it, a long way off yet.

It doesn’t look too bad in the picture, at leased it’s survived the trip home and I presume nothing has fallen off, which must be a good sign,

Lets see if I can get mine on here, fingers crossed.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Sorry – a bit slow off the mark there with the approval, but pleased to see an element of success!

As you’ll have spotted, the forum software displays pictures best when they’re sparsely scattered through lots of text rather than the other way round.

Thanks for sticking with it. Now everybody will be wanting to join in…

Roger
    Participant

Hi Steve, You’re boat looks good in the photo, certainly worth saving, I’m sure each step of the rebuild will bring you heaps of satisfaction.

Do you have any photos of the fixtures and fittings that might have been original?, It seem to me that they get upgraded through there life and the original parts are discarded. Like you I’d like to fit my boat out as near to how it would have been 60 years ago, if at all possible. Until I’ve seen what those parts look like I won’t know what to look for. I shall keep looking, it mat take some time.

All the best,

Roger

Steve W76
    Participant

Hi Roger, sorry for the slow replies. my life is very busy at the moment….

This photo shows the deck fittings and my Grandson, I have further photos with measurements of the locations of said fittings if needed. The second photo is a note of caution, most of my ply panels had at least one section which just crumbled in my hands. Most of the rot is where water had been laying in the boat for many years. I could easily push a screwdriver through the bottom 2 inches of the centreboard.

Steve

Steve W76
    Participant

First, Dave thank you for sorting the uploading. I now get a “awaiting moderator approval” message when I post.

I realised that W76 would need major surgery, so set about building a frame system to preserve it’s original shape. I started by making paper templates of each bulkhead and original building frame location.

Then added fingers to the templates to ensure maximum accuracy.

Once all these were done I built a substantial structure to keep everything in place.

This gave me a starting point. I had previously checked all of the original measurement certificate data points to ensure nothing had moved since 1960…..

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Steve – this is so similar to my W774! I have been over the boat with a tape measure, comparing the present day shape and size with the data from the original measurement certificate, also taking as many photos as I can. I’ve templated almost everything now, except the front bulkhead. The boat is significantly out of shape, (and pretty decrepit), so I’m leaning towards a re-build rather than a restoration, but still not certain. The present cold weather makes other jobs seem more attractive…

Roger
    Participant

Thanks for the photos Steve; impressive, thorough workmanship.  Could you post a picture of the forward hatch toggle clips for me please, as although I have the hatch cover, I’m missing the toggles. If I can’t find any I’ll have a go at making some. The foresail detail is also useful as they were missing as well.

Just one more question before I say good night. How did you get it into the lounge?

Keep us posted of your progress Steve,  lots of sailors will be watching.

Roger

Steve W76
    Participant

Hi Roger, The forward hatch latches are the same as the rear, they are pears shaped pieces of tufnol stood on posts. Will try to sort photos later, as they have now gone into storage in my shed loft.

In the meantime, I removed the hog and centreboard case for inspection.

It didn’t look too bad from a distance.

But examination showed serious rot below floorboard level.

More to follow, short on time again today.

Steve

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.