Latest News: Forums Technical W76

• This topic has 92 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Roger.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Steve W76
    Participant

Hi there, here goes with my first post. I am in the process of restoring W76, a 1959 build. The boat has an interesting past, as its first owner (and builder) appears to be Mr Stanley Dickson instigator of the “Dickson Wayfarer Trophy” at Aldeburgh YC. During the early to mid 60’s it got a new owner up until a couple of years back when I became the third. W76 had fallen into a state a poor repair and was destined for the tip when I came to the rescue. ( Thank you, Suzie VO if you are reading). So, with a delayed retirement, and other life events, I now am making progress with the restoration.

So, questions. W76 had a solid hardwood sided centreboard case, not quite like any other that I have seen and not quite like the original design of plywood sides supported with a wooden frame. Was this an option? Has anyone else seen one like it? I note on W76’s measurement certificate, she is 20 KG over minimum weight. Could this extra weight of wood be the reason? Should I replace like for like (my preferred option to maintain originality)  or should I go the plywood way? If I do go the plywood way, what thickness are the original centreboard casings made of?

I am trying to upload a photo or two, but am having no success.

Steve

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,

Sorry about the photo-related difficulties. As a temporary workaround please feel free to e-mail any photos to me (contact details on menu) and I’ll add them for you. This may well resolve itself now that you’ve posted once, but I’m not certain of this…

Incidentally, I’m doing a similar job on W774, or at least I will be, so we’ll have to stay in touch. More later…

Dave Barker

Roger
    Participant

Particularly nice to read you post Steve, as I spoke to Susie about the W76 after seeing the ad in the Newsletter, such a nice person to chat to. At the time I was looking for some Wayfarer benches for my other boat. Susie talked me out of taking the boat as she thought it was too much work, you are obviously made of sterner stuff than me.

Since then I have acquired W212 a 1960 Wayfarer which came with very good benches. I had intended to strip the boat of anything worth saving but it was in such good condition that it would have been a crime to scrap a perfectly recoverable boat. So now I find myself restoring a boat not a million miles ( in time) away from yours, The deck was damaged so needs replacing, preparation well under way but too cold in my garage to do any gluing so I haven’t ordered any ply.

The main reason I’ve made contact is, if you’re not too far away, I’d like to visit you in the not too distant future if possible?,( I think Boris has put the kybosh on that), to have a look at your boat to get an over view of the type of fittings it has as I’d like to restore W212 as it would have been, if possible. Perhaps photos if that’s not possible?

Whilst waiting for warmer weather I’ve been sanding everything 0n the inside ready for paint or varnish as well as the wooden mast and boom.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Roger

john1162
    Participant

Hi Steve,

Early boats did have a solid mahogany centreboard case.  I had to replace the bottom bit of it on W6 along with some of the hull.  If you go for plywood then the original size would have been 1/4″ so the nearest now is 6mm.

The joint between the centreboard case and keel was a mastic which becomes hard and brittle with time and is a source of leaks so worth checking.

If ever you fancy a chat about anything Wayfarer related and wooden boat restoration you can contact me initially at randt@wayfarer.org.uk

Steve W76
    Participant

When I became custodian of W76, I was fully aware that the boat would probably be “beyond economic repair”. However, I was quite happy with that as I quite enjoying restoring things that previous owners have given up on. My advice to anyone contemplating a full on restoration project; don’t bother. The world is full of unfinished projects for a good reason, the amount of time, money, enthusiasm, considerate partners/families required is immense. The initial excitement soon wanes when the sheer enormity of the job begins to dawn. Go buy a boat you can sail and enjoy yourself. I have completed a few restorations (boats, classic cars etc), so knew what I was undertaking and was happy to take my time and do a proper job.

John, thank you for the above information. If you remember, back in the summer I emailed you with this conundrum. You mentioned Matt S had a centreboard case salvaged from a Wayfarer written off by an Ambulance (yes you did read that right!), which I duly bought. After removing the (rotten) decks and installing effectively the original build frame, then inverting the boat, I removed the keel and then keelson and scarfed in the “new” centreboard case. The forward part of the keelson was rotten, so I steamed bent a new front section. All of the stringers and outer panels had serious rot in various places, so all are being replaced. (Many photos and measurements taken before/after, with constant reference to the class rules and the Wayfarer build manual). The good mahogany salvaged from the rotten (Solid) centreboard case has been cut down to make new floor timbers, replacing the rotten originals. I like to recycle.

Roger, If you can convey your email without making it too obvious to scanning bots, I would happily send you photos of the original deck fittings layout.

TTFN Steve

Roger
    Participant

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

Sounds like you’re getting on fine, mine is waiting for a warmer garage. in the mean time doing what ever prep work I can.

I’ve had to replace some of the gunwale in a couple of places together with the rowlock support blocks due to rot caused when the dinghy was stored upside down.

It has suffered a collision at some point in its life to the starboard bow, but the repair is very good and well done. Considering its age I think its fared very well.

Do you have a wooden mast, If so can you tell me the length please? My mast is 22feet 9 1/2 inches.

Loved to see your photos Steve

Roger

Steve W76
    Participant

Hi Roger,

W76 had been stored in a garage, but with the top of the mast exposed to the elements. So, sadly I now have only the lower half of the wooden mast so can’t measure it. I’m sure there are plenty of clues on the web as to how long it should be.

Steve

Roger
    Participant

That’s tragic Steve, I think I’ve seen wooden spars for sale on the Wayfarer Website.

As far as my mast is concerned I’ve seen various conflicting lengths mentioned but nothing definitive. I think the problem arises because of the change from wood to alloy and imperial to metric. I expect the important measurement is the length of the sail luff and the position of the lower mast band.

Perhaps someone will read this post and put my mind at rest. Thanks for the reply, still like to see some pictures if you get the time.

Roger

Steve W76
    Participant

Hi Roger, If you can convey an email address to me I can send photos. I would love to upload photos to this site, but that facility appears not to work.

Steve

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Steve – the media upload problem is a pain. I’ve adjusted your account settings, so you may now see the Add Media button, which in turn may allow you to upload. Give it a try if you like – sorry not to be more helpful.

Dave

Roger
    Participant

Looks like the web team are on the case, lets see if they can fix it.

Roger

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Try yours too, Roger – I’ve made the same adjustment (with the same confidence in the outcome!)

Roger
    Participant

Hi web team, I’ve posted a picture similar to yours but it doesn’t seem to be working. Have I done something wrong?

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Not necessarily. The photo has been uploaded to the website and is associated with your user account. So far so good.

It would be helpful to know if the steps described in the second half of the ‘Help’ section article (menu at top of page) occurred more or less as described? Especially the last paragraph, with the stuff about the ‘Insert into post’ button.

Thanks for giving it a go 🙂

Roger
    Participant

I think I did everything including the add to post instruction.

Sorry to be a pest, computers and I have a love hate relationship, they know I don’t really understand them and hold ne in contempt, I’m pretty good with a screwdriver though, or a hammer.

Roger

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.