Latest News: Forums Technical Very Very stiff centreboard to be fixed

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • AUTHOR
    W10143

Hi
    Drink 2 (original) bottles of Grolsch Lager, remove red rubber washers from stopper, apply either side of your bolt, and recycle the glass.

Job’s a good’un

David

This just gets better doesn’t it, I’ve got to start drinking to do a proper job. Hmmmm , lets see now, might need a couple of spare washers, yes. Anthony.

Swiebertje
    Participant

I can vouch for that. I replace my Grolsch washers every year, not that there is a need, but every boat needs two bottles and we have a fleet of 26 boats! If not the best, at least it is the most fun method.

Mind you it is a pretty divvicult job! Espezially after ze fiflthfth baot; finding da hole, puzhing da hole throughz the boltz and searzing da nutzy thingy below ze vloorbaordz, HIC!

Cheers!

Nice one Swiebertje, Piet Hein for ever! Anthony and Julie

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and help with our stiff centreboard. It has now been replaced in the boat using the careening method. We used a piece of car heater hose sized 19mm internal bore for the brake and it works perfectly. We are still trying to find original bottles of Grolsch Lager just in case! No leaks as yet, a lot easier to use and Thanks Again! Anton and Julie

Anonymous
    Inactive

Living at Salford – where do you sail (obviously not too far from an off licence now).

QW7265

Just a note to further the centreboard discussion. When I purchased my old MkII W a few years ago the CB was very stiff , first year I sanded it down a few mm , varnished and refitted with new brake. Still stiff , next year the same process , same result.
    I have lived with it for a few years not wanting to thin the board down too much to weaken it, but EVERY TIME I pull or dry out on a sandy beach the CB jams!!!! – much swearing , bruising and hammering to get going again.
    Enough is enough , I managed to find lying about an old 505(I think) with steel CB weighing about 35/40kg , I have modified this to suit the W with a simple pully mechanism to raise and lower.
    Have just returned from an excellent 5 days around Arran and Kintyre and I have to say that its a great improvement:

> More stable when single handed and with family
    > Easier board control with rope led aft when SH
    > NO More jammed CB after beaching

I still have the old wooden one in case I want to race around the cans.

Has anyone made the recommendation of a steel CB to Hartley’s for the cruising version of the new W ?

Q

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Quentin (there can’t be many Qs out there),
    Did you reinforce the pivot holes in the case at all? And does the plate drop like a stone or is there sufficient friction in the mechanism to prevent this?

QW7265

Hi Matt
    Took some advice from your previous postings , I sail with a jib rather than a genoa , therefore now keep the CB raised slightly to reduce weather helm , thus there is allways tension in the pulley mech using the elasticity of the rope to prevent a significant bump when lowering the heavy plate. I rarely lower the board fully and when I do it rests comfortably on the rubber stops from the wooden board on top of the CB case. Also unless I am on a dead run or stationary there is allways a lateral force on the plate enabling a smooth desent but a fair pull on the 3:1 pulley mech to raise.

I have enlarged the pivot holes to 10mm and use an M10 through bolt but have not reinforced the CB case yet.
    This is one of the the long term reservations I have together with the possibility of the plate retracting in the event of a capsize and inversion.
    But I do use a 75l secumar auto inflate bag at the masthead and the additional weight of the plate may prevent inversion – might do a few tests on the local pond!

Q

Leighton Hargreaves
    Participant

I too have a very stiff centreboard, and I am fairly sure its not the brake that is causing the stiffness.  It’s a wooden centreboard in a grp mk2.

I have arc shaped scratch marks on the centreboard at various distances from the pivot, these suggest to me that maybe it is just too thick and wants sanding a bit thinner.

I am more than willing to drink grolsch as advised above, but I don’t understand how these washers are supposed to help.  Are they to be inserted inside the centreboard case between the case and the board?

A possible clue is that I recently did a practice full inversion and recovery, and immediately afterwards the board was pivoting as smoothly as you could ask, as if the sideways force on the board had clicked something into place. But the next time I sailed it was back to its bad old ways again.

Any ideas?

Bob Harland
    Participant

Hi Leighton, probably just the water all over the board gave better lubrication.

The washers are on the outside of the case and are for sealing against the bolt.

Check that the brake (if you have one) is not too tight (a piece of rubber tube at the top forward edge of the board)

It could be that you have some grit stuck in the board or the inside of the case and this is rubbing – hence the friction and arc shaped marks. I would suggest you careen the boat onto its side and check the board and inside of the case.
    You may have to remove the board to gain good access.

Once you have the boat on its side things should be clearer.
    NB Secure the boat on its side with the jib or spinny halyard – not the main halyard.

hope that helps

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.