Latest News: Forums Cruising Use of Honda 2.3 Engine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • AUTHOR
    sailfree

I have one of these engines (standard shaft) for use on the dinghy to our big boat.

We race a wooden Wayfarer. I would like to take the grandchildren out in the Wayfarer around Poole Harbour.

Can I hang the Honda off the transom without needing to add a outboard mounting bracket and will it work OK?

Sailing /tacking and waiting for a suitable wind can come later its getting them on the water and enjoying it that I want to do first.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just happened to be looking in the W handbook earlier today and it suggests you can lift off the rudder and drop some kind of mounting onto the pintles and then hang the outboard off that………..obviously you have no steerage during the changeover. I have no experience of how well this works but it is a recognised method acc to the book!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d be a bit wary of hanging 13Kg on the pintles. You should be able to hang it on the transom on temporary protective pads. You adjust the depth of the motor by moving forward or backward in the boat. Watch the main sheet doesn’t get tangled in it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thought I’d get a reaction as I share your reservation Matt, but surely someone must have done it……..its on p 39 of the bible! Good to hear there are other ways to solve the problem than a permanent shoe and bracket on a racing woodie…..cheers Dave

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is probably unneccesary advice but I’ll give it anyway……if sailing with very young children (eg 2-4 yrs) if conditions suit resist the urge to use the genoa/gib unless you can fit a furling drum………the flogging jibsheets really scared my little ones when we were launching ……and they can get tangled up in them when tacking if the boat is set up for racing….put up with the poor performance and see your surroundings better……..(Tom and Alex asked me to tell you!) cheers Dave

krgough
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve done exactly this with wooden plywood pads to protect the transom. Works absolutely fine. Ralph Roberts advised me to lock the engine in the straight ahead position and steer with the rudder. If you are steering with the rudder then be careful that the prop doesn’t chop lumps out of it.

Whenever I sail with an o/b on a bracket or on the transon, I always get loops of mainsheet wrapped round the engine – I think the trick is to sheet in as much as possible before tacking, but it always catches me out. šŸ™

regards

Keith

sailfree

I intended to take the sails but as the children are so young leave the sails furled up and boom inside boat.

I just thought using wayfarer as a dinghy with outboard would be easier and more fun.

Taken note of ply protective strips on transom.

Thanks for replies.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Keith’s advice on outboard and rudder is extremely sound (as one who has a “friend” who took chunks out of the rudder once upon a time)…..my friend often removes the rudder completely rather than risk a repeat (eg if rudder not down fully). This leaves the issue of stretching back over the locker to reach the outboard tiller……..for comfort he slips a length of plastic pipe over the handle to make a metre long extension which is very comfortable.
    As for my advice on sailing and children it is very much assuming another adult on board to help the kids with their positioning on the seats while you are at the helm. Good luck whatever

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sailfree,

Poole is my favourite spot, I try to get there at least five or six times a year.

If ever you fancy sme company, just let me know.

I plan to sail there this coming Sunday with friends, if you are available, we shall launch from Baiter Park at around 11am

Regards

Dave, I’m thinking along the lines you mention – removing the rudder when using an outboard (not bought one yet). Does the boat handle ok just steering on the outboard alone?

Thanks
    Jonathan

W8866
    Dumdum

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Jonathon……..yes it steers absolutely fine while the engine has power (ie prop turning)………..you either have to stretch back a bit over the locker to steer (likely to be sitting on the hatch cover which depending on your weight and its condition could be an issue)………or,personally I fit a metre or so of plastic pipe over the steering arm to extend it and can stand up and steer, or sit on a side bench. I remove the pipe for tight turns as it can be obstructed eg by boom and mainsail. Personally I would recommend using the outboard without the rudder first just for practice at least ………….but if you have total faith in your rudder staying fully down and out of the props way (eg you are not going to motor into shallows when suddenly rudder up will hit the propeller. Also I would recommend getting an outboard with a neutral gear as well as forward if you launch where manouvering is tight. Obviously the issue is stretching back to fit the rudder on pintles when out on the water to start proper sailing. However chance for a holiday snap……….sorry! If it all seems a bit garbled its because I’m a bit rusty (see knee injury post……aaah………..just keep rudder and prop apart however you go about it.
    cheers Dave

Thanks Dave, I think I’ll give this a go before attaching any form of permanent bracket.

btw definitely agree with sailing without genoa / jib with little ones on board – it’s worked a treat for us this year – thanks for that advice.

Jonathan
    W8866
    Dumdum

Further to earlier comments re removing rudder when motoring, I discovered this week at Ullswater that just lifting the blade up to the horizontal position seems to work ok and saves removing the whole rudder and tiller – I did check it out on land first that the prop cannot foul the blade when lifted up. I also added a sliding eye to the underside of the boom a couple of feet in from the end to attach mainsheet onto. Not a perfect set up but it seems to work ok for occasional use until we can sort out something a bit more permanent.

Jonathan
    W8866
    Dumdum

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Dave Mac wrote:

Just happened to be looking in the W handbook earlier today and it suggests you can lift off the rudder and drop some kind of mounting onto the pintles and then hang the outboard off that

BTDT works fine!

Richard

Tony Green
    Participant

Clamped to the transom works fine. Have an earlier 2HP Honda worked fine clamped to top of transom, though on MkII has a tenancy to work loose due to draw on mold for transom top. Found due to high mass of helm that good trim difficult if steering engine direct so tended to lock off and steer with rudder – does allow you to get away from the noise and talk to the crew. Mounting the engine to side helps get it deep enough to see clear water under the hull. Usually resort to paddles for last bit with risk of shallows. The sheer pin on the 2HP does go before there is serious damage to the rudder (or so I am told). Have now fitted bracket which helps the sheet tangle problem but moves the engine mass another 8″ aft and makes it even more difficult to steer the motor.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.