Latest News: Forums General UKWA Membership

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • AUTHOR

Our membership numbers have declined during the recession and we need to get them back up to a good level. Plaese tell your friends about the good things UKWA provide – Wayfarer News, Class Insurance, Website and Forum, Merchandise, Drawings , Technical advice and of course, entry to Training , Racing and Cruising Events.
    Membership is very reasonable and Forms are available on the website. Payment via PayPal is set up.
    Make sure every Wayfarer owner you know is a member so that we can all enjoy a bigger community of owners.
    Over 10500 boats have now been built so there’s no excuse!
    It will also help to get Quentin off my case!

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Roy,
    Would it right that at a boat show or any place where the class has a personal rep collecting money from new members we have more success recruiting than waiting for people to apply.

How about if a local rep at club level could be able to take aplications for a membership alone with a cheque and the class then sends out for any banking details for the next year.

Maybe we could get them on the day,rather than let them think about it and then not?

C P 😉

Dave Bevan

@Colin Parkstone wrote:

Roy,
    Would it right that at a boat show or any place where the class has a personal rep collecting money from new members we have more success recruiting than waiting for people to apply

Will the club be having their own stand at the dinghy show this year, or ‘squatting’ on the Hartley stand? Great for the new boat, but perhaps not so welcoming for the majority who own older boats?

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Dave,

Do I take it that the people who own older boats are feeling left out and are not rejoining the class?

I am very certain that all Wayfarer sailers are welcome to the stand,how can they not be with the smiling Sarah on it to welcome us.

I find that the stand covers all types of Wayfarer owners and Hartleys show us ALL the potential of the NEW boat.

This boat is the future sales and growth of the class, and as such,at the builder expense is taking a prominent place at the show’s.

When I look in the mag and on the web i see that the older boats are very much alive and in the forefront as much as any other part of the class.

Please dont feel left out and not be a member, the class is entering a new faze but it needs and wants all the existing owners along with it to enjoy the complete advantages of the class.

Think you may find that a second stand costs lots of money to a class that has lost membership and is lower on funds than in the past. Could we afford it, Swings ect! 🙁

CP

Dave Bevan

@Colin Parkstone wrote:

Do I take it that the people who own older boats are feeling left out and are not rejoining the class?

Just speculating, Colin. In the past, we’ve had a stand alongside the builder, which fully reflects the diversity our boat offers. The welcome on the Hartley stand has always been warm, even when they aren’t going to make another sale (they’ve already had my money, and this is one very satisfied customer 😀 )

I appreciate that not having our own stand saves the association £££, and would we realise the cost in additional members – probably not.

As I say, just speculating!

Roy – Our club is typical in having many Wayfarers, but relatively few that belong to the Association. Is there anything I could do to push the benefits of the Association, like a club mailshot or similar?

tempest51

I would focus on the UKWA’s main selling point that answers the age old marketing question of “what’s in it for me?”, which in my opinion is the Forum. There is just about everything you need to know about a Wayfarer on here, so my suggestion is to sell it better and make it available only to members via a password!

Tempest51

There is a lot that can be done at club level:
    1) Display the Application Form on the Notice Board and have copies ready for owners to pick up.
    2) If you can collect fees locally and sends details to Sarah , she will enroll and follow up (email addresses useful).
    3) We are producing a poster to go to all clubs
    4) Encourage people to use the Forum. It is packed with useful stuff.
    5) Tell them how welcome they will be at UKWA events – training, cruising , racing.
    6) Low cost entry to newcomers for the Worlds in weymouth next year, plus Gold, Silver, Bronze to give all levels a chance at the prizes.

The Dinghy Show stands were costing UKWA over £3000! Now we have an active builder who has built more than 100 boats in the last year, UKWA wish to support him and vv., so it makes good sense to share the facility which he finances. That way even us old woodies can see what success he is having with the new boats!

tempest51

Ok so why is the forum available to non-members?…is there some logical reason that I don’t understand?

Tempest51

Bob Harland
    Participant

The Forum is available to anyone to view, but you have to be registered (and a member) to post / reply to topics. That’s a balanced approach, and the reasons for that are;

One has to bear in mind that not everyone finds using the Internet easy – registering, logging-in and remembering passwords. If you had to be registered/logged in to access the forum these would be barriers stopping some bona fide members accessing the forum.

Closing the forum to non-registered users also means that potential new members cannot see for themselves the depth and breadth of the knowledge. By displaying our wares – so to speak – we hope to attract new members who can see the value. Rather than just being able to say we have a great forum – take our word for it.

I hope that helps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Closing the forum to non-registered users also means that potential new members cannot see for themselves the depth and breadth of the knowledge. By displaying our wares – so to speak – we hope to attract new members who can see the value. Rather than just being able to say we have a great forum – take our word for it. ” I agree 100%. This forum was played a major part in me choosing a Wayfarer and then joining the association.

tempest51

Bob,

When I read Roy’s original message, I thought it was an appeal for fresh ideas. Reading your response, I sort of get the idea that “it’s broke but we ain’t gonna fix it”. If membership numbers are falling then maybe it could be time to review traditional thinking…that’s all I’m going to say on this matter. Personally, I fail to see the logic of your argument, as I can see many people enjoying the benefits without having to pay for them. Simples! As an advertiser in the magazine, it is in my interest too to swell the membership figures.

Tempest51

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Tempest51,

I think your last sentence with all due respect show’s the differing approach we take from this request from Roy.

He asked for support to help shore up the class funds and continue with the open and inviting way we run the class, not to rebuild it.

We need the funds to run the class and to pay for all the great help we get in doing so,I do not see a profit need in that as well!

C P.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.