Latest News: Forums Racing Twin spi poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • AUTHOR
    bigal

Just seen the P&B ad for twin pole system . Are they legal for us – the rules refer to ‘pole’ in the singular .

Having seen how easy they make the gybe in the Merlin class I would be interested in fitting such a system . Does it require a rule amendment and ,if so , would there be sufficient support ?

I could be wrong, but I thought that I read that Rob Lyne used a twin pole system when he sailed in the Nationals in Falmouth a few years back………….

Trevor

Taken from Mike McKechnie’s report on the Falmouth Nationals (where Rob came 2nd):

Rob also arrived at Falmouth with some different ‘thinking’ (at least for the Wayfarer Class) in terms of ‘fit-out’ on his boat. He had barbour-hauler based fairleads for the jib and a twin-spinnaker pole system. Both these approaches were novel and resulted in some interesting discussions in the dinghy park.

bigal

So he did and nobody protested . Can i assume that despite the singular mention in the rules I would be allowed to fit two .

Comment from the Committee perhaps ?

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Precedence goes back a long way to a boat called Walloping Window Blind and Rob as well !!
    Did he also use a Tactic Racemaster as well like a boat in Poole.
    I would say you go ahaed Al, anything to keep Phil from poking you in the eye with a spi pole!!!
    As for the rules, I think I will get my Carbon spi pole going this year and see what happen’s.
    We are a nice fleet and do not like to upset anyone do we!!! I just know that we all could be protested at any time But!!!
    Have a look at the same kind of problem that is being talked about on another thread about compasses!!

We need to sort the class out with regards to the rules i would say!!!!
    CP

bigal

It’s not the eyes I’m most worried about Colin !!

sailfree

I agree that sorting out the rules and giving common sense guidance is important.

I am aware that many don’t like harbour courses due to the advantage of local knowledge and buoy position. Whats wrong with a GPS?

When I see only people in the top 3 have one feature and the rest don’t I would worry but until then lets just get more people racing and enjoying themselves.

I do appreciate the class wish to keep costs to a minimum and hope laminate sails are never accepted as it pees me off enough to get beated by good sailors with old rags for sails!!

bigal

I spoke to Dave Wade yesterday about the twin pole system . He thought it would work well on a Wayfarer .
    However the singular reference to ‘ pole ‘ in the rules is an impediment and the requirement that the pole must be metal or wood ( not carbon ) would make the system heavier .
    Off the top of his head Dave thought a system with metal poles would cost about £1200 some £300 less than using carbon poles . End of subject I suggest !

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Twin poles at that price maybe!!! but a carbon single pole is well within reach. If you price the items on that site and do the work yourself you would save a lot of money.

One point i would say is that a boat fitted with all the right gear on it that works and the crew prefer to use, makes as much if not more sense than a brand new set of sails each year in a boat that is hard to sail because its fitted out badly.

You will not see the top boats fall apart after each race will you????
    CP

One point i would say is that a boat fitted with all the right gear on it that works and the crew prefer to use, makes as much if not more sense than a brand new set of sails each year in a boat that is hard to sail because its fitted out badly.

Good point Colin, I would say …….’fitted with all the right gear on it that works and the crew prefer to use, can start well and point in the right direction’

When Gary Player was told he was a ‘lucky’ golfer, he famously said ‘The more I practice, the luckier I get’

Trevor

mckechnie

Interesting to read all this now, in May, when you were all having the discussion in February. Sorry to be slow reading this forum insert. If you lot had been around racing last year on the circuit in the latter part of the year you would have noticed me using a twin pole system from the Danish Nationals onwards and including the finale at Bough Beech. I will demo it on the training day at the Medway Nationals.

bigal

So do you think it is legal Mike in view of the singular definition of pole in the rules ?

Didn’t Ted Gadd have a twin pole system on his boat? I suspect that it passed the scrutinisers at more than one Nationals and maybe even the Worlds. I am very tempted to go that route if it makes the crew’s life easier, but am discouraged by the P&B cost for the basic bits before the cost of the poles (and I expect the rope and bungee as well). Yet another Christmas present for the boat, I expect!! John

Fantasia

Yes, Ted Gadd’s boat/s had twin poles fitted and he sailed in numerous championship meetings and worlds. Ted now sails a solo at HISC, so no need for them now.

bigal

Could the Committee rule on this before the Championships as I believe this to be preferable to having a protest against Mike decided by the Medway YC protest committee . As i see it there are two impediments ;

(1) do the rules permit carbon poles ?

(2) do the rules permit more than one pole ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.