Latest News: Forums Technical Traveller on Mk1

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Fitzpatrick 1 day, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR

Traveller
    Participant

Hello,

On checking over the boat (a Mk1 GRP) in preparation for this seasons sailing, I’ve noticed that some of the screws holding the traveller to the top of the transom are just turning in their sockets.  This means that the traveller isn’t brilliantly secure, and also has me worried about the integrity of the buoyancy tank (though from poking a bbq skewer through the screw holes they don’t seem to go all the way through, which is a relief).

I don’t really want to replace the traveller, as there are more pressing jobs to do, and I can’t look from the other side to see what the screws are seated in as the buoyancy blocks in the stern buoyancy compartment completely block access.  So I was thinking of sticking araldite in the screw holes and then screwing back in.  But before I do that, I wanted to check if anyone thought this was a bad idea, or if there is a better way to fix this?……..

Thanks!

Bob Harland
    Participant

Hi, I would avoid screwing into epoxy that has not set – because it might be difficult to remove the screws at a later date.

I suggest removing all the screws and traveller, for any enlarged holes see if there is any loose material that can be removed then fill with expoxy. When the epoxy has set drill a suitable sized fresh hole for the screws. Consider using longer screws.

It is possible that the screws are going into timber that has rotted. But whatever the material the idea is to remove what is in poor condition and replace it with epoxy/fibre mix – rather than araldite.

Modern boats tend to use a rope bridle rather than a traveller for the mainsheet, so you may have other stronger options on  securing a bridle to the transom if a good repair of the traveller is not possible.

hope that helps

Ian Fitzpatrick
    Participant

The traveler on my mk1 composite W2713 is mounted on the top of the transom and is a long way away from the rear buoyancy tank. But I guess the point about possible rot is worth investing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.