Latest News: Forums Technical Trailing Wayfarer with high vehicle.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

❓ I have trailed our wayfarer behind a mondeo estate for a number of years. Now have a campervan with 2.1 metre roof height. Alternatives are put the mast on a roof rack, or heighten the mast support. Apparently the trend towards higher vehicles (4×4, people carriers) is posing this problem for others. Has anyone got direct experience of having a mast support easily extended. Is this a common solution – or do people go the roof rack route? My main concerns are with the stability of such a support, and the stress put on the support due to the greater vertical leverage.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave Kirk used to tow with his VW van and had an extended mast support that caused no problems at all. I would suggest that the addition of a close fitting wooden support in the tabernacle to help prevent mast ‘bounce’ may be worthwhile.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Heighten your mast support if you are going to trail on a regular basis, roof rack is really last resort short distance stuff (to get it balanced you feel you are going to lance anything ahead of you it sticks out so far forward).
    You should be able to bind a suitably stiff pole onto your existing mast support using radiator hose clamp grips (jubilee? clips). At least that was what I was going to do but I found I only had to get a few inches extra clearance and just packed out the Y of the support and tied the top end of the mast onto that. That was to clear a Topper on top of a Ford Galaxy.

Or just replace the mast support of the trailer if it detaches. When I got my first trailer it came with a massive mast support. I was told that was standard and then you cut down to suit your needs. When I got a new trailer (same make) when I changed to a Wayfarer it came with a short one (sod’s law)…it still cleared the Galaxy but not with other stuff on the roof.

I don’t think the greater vertical leverage is much of an issue myself but I have seen the wooden support in the tabernacle which would give peace of mind (ie I think it is quite a good idea but don’t bother myself)

W10143

Hi

I’ve towed with high vehicles for some years, and have found that the current mast support and overall trailer length allows an overhang at the rear of ~1m. With a ‘red rag’ this is legal. It also has the advantage that the spinnaker halyard can be left ready reeved!

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had the same problem when I started towing my W behind my van. My solution was to cut the mast support (inch square galvanised tube) six inches from the top and bolt the end into a suitable length of old galvanised water pipe. By drilling holes in the pipe and the bottom part of the mast support, I was able to make my new support adjustable (when it was extended far enough to clear the van roof, it wouldn’t go in the garage). I also made myself a wooden post to fit in the tabernacle, and lashed the mast down to it, as it tended to whip about when towing otherwise.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have extended the existing support, and this has proved very successful trailing to West Coast of Scotland. Whilst this extension was a logical move, I was concerned over stresses on the tubular support bracket which is welded to the trailer frame. I should have said HORIZONTAL forces, because what was worrying me was fatigue due to repetitive sideways leverage on the welds by a longer mast support on the tube bracket. I alleviated this by a stabilising rig consisting of two old ratchet straps coming off the the mast support half-way down, which were attached at the bottom to the ends of the launching trolley handles. Difficult to explain and a picture tells a thousand words. When I get the boat off the water in autumn I’ll take a pic of the whole rig and post for info.
    Note that I was initially put off the scent by a high vehicle forum where putting the Wayfarer mast on the roof rack was recommended by a member as a simple option without getting involved in trailer mechanics.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.