Latest News: Forums Technical Trailering a Wayfarer for dummies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Dave Bevan

@tempest51 wrote:

Thanks JordanChris,

Any tips on securing the mast? I know that there is a limit to how much can protrude from the rear, about 1.5m I believe?

I normally put my mast on foot-forward, because it allows me to take the mast down without disconnecting the shrouds (I use a bungee to take up the slack), and tie-down the mast front and rear. I have a modified trailer board with inbuilt mast support that fits onto the rudder pintles, but the weight is taken on the mainsheet traveller track, not by pintles. I keep the rear over-hang to a minimum (<10"), and the mast overhangs the car and occasionally fences with the aerial on the car roof!. Halyards and the forestay are all tied-off tightly around the mast.

BluTak
    Participant

If you use wide ratchet straps and put a twist in each side they don’t hum and flog at speed. I don’t know where I picked that up but it works!

For mast support I use a spacer block in the “hole” below the mainsheet track and screw the lighting board on a plank of wood to the outside. Another plank that sits edgeways on the aft tank is bolted through the lot so it is all clamped to the transom. 2 x 6″ coach bolts + wing nuts. The inner plank is shaped to take mast one side, boom the other. Rock solid, 30 mins to make, cost pennies. all weight spread over aft tank

If you replace wheel bearings keep old ones as spares with car spare tyre

Robert

BluTak
    Participant

Another couple of simple tips!

AA carry a plastic beer or milk crate in the boat to use as a step when rigging. The mast is best put on when the boat and trailer are hitched to the car as it can’t tip up. You can stand in the back of the boat to start levering the mast up. The crate is used as a step to save the mudguards or a difficult move into the boat!

BB carry lots of insulating tape to tie up shrouds/halyards etc to mast when trailing – it just cuts off on arrival. I also use a mast foot bag or wrap/tape the base with polythene so that I don’t lose vital mast foot fittings and the halyard ends are all covered

CC fasten light rope from tow hitch vertically up to mast (clove hitch taped on). It cuts down mast whip when trailing and damage to mast/car roof
    Robert

tempest51

A big thank you to you all for your honest advice. It’s great to draw on so much prior experience.

Tempest51

Anonymous
    Inactive

All good tips about trailing. I’ve got another question to add to the pot.

Off to Falmouth next weekend and want to know how sound the bearings are.

I’ve given the wheels a shake (unladen). One wheel the bearing is tight, the other has a very small amount of play. Do I tighten the castle nut one notch or replace both sets of bearings?

I know that assessing bearings can require a bit of blind faith.

May be for the sake of £35 for an axle set and peace of mind, I should replace them?

T

W10143

Tim

Try this lot: http://www.towingandtrailers.co.uk/shop/14/34/214/index.htm

Excellent service and far more cost effective!

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks David……great prices.

Happy sailing

Tim

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.