Latest News: Forums General Towing with or without cover / keeping the boat clean

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR

I have always towed with a flat cover on and my previous boat (painted hull and deck) seemed to hardly suffer from any chafing / marking from the cover or the straps under the hull. My new boat is all original gel coat and the hull has marked where the cover overhangs the gunwhale and where the straps touch the hull. Is this inevitable? (in which case towing with the cover on is no longer an option). Do most people tow without a cover on?

So the next question is what products in terms of waxes/polishes etc are recommended to keep the boat clean as far as possible?

Jonathan
    W2312

Swiebertje
    Participant

I always tow with a cover on. It saves me well over 10% on petrol. A significant amount of money on a trip to Copenhagen and back.

With my old boat I discovered that most damage comes from road dirt that splashes against the hull to the extend that it leaves marks as you describe. My guess is that the marks of the straps are the undamaged parts rather than the damaged parts?
    Because of the road dirt I now use an under cover on my boat. I use it always no matter how short the distance to travel. An under cover is made from nylon and hence not very expensive. It is far less expensive then a paint job, for that is what it takes to remove the road dirt damage. No amount of polish will remove the scratches caused by road dirt. On most Porter build boats the gel coat has minimal thickness to keep the weight down (..) and it is remarkable how fast you polish through the gel coat.

Since an under cover is put on before the top cover it also protects the hull from damage by the top cover straps, but I don’t believe that to be an issue.

Bob Harland
    Participant

We use a lightweight cacoon cover when trailing, it protects the boat pretty well and it remarkable easy to put on (though that probably has a lot to do with it being a wooden boat on minimum weight).
    In the past (W World days) we had an undercover and flat top cover. They were quite a lot of trouble to put and soon got left at home.
    If you want to keep the boat in pristine condition then a bottom cover is required, I would certainly go for a cacoon cover if making the choice again.

Thanks Bob, I’m not familiar with a cacoon cover – could you perhaps elaborate slightly?

Thanks
    Jonathan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.