Latest News: Forums Technical Towing our W with a Motorhome – how do I stow the mast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Cuatro

Before we get a towbar fitted to our recently aquired motorhome I want to know it will be feasible to tow our Wayfarer. My concern is about the mast.

The motorhome is 2.9 metres high. It has a ladder and roofrack but the transverse bars are only about 1 metre apart. The longitudional bars are abot 2.1 metres in length.

Is a taller mast support on the trailer going to work with a 2.9 tall vehicle?
    How much support will the mast need if it goes on the roof?

Can anyone provide advise based on their own experience?

Thanks
    Owen Morgan
    Cuatro W9309

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Welcome to the world of posh Wayfarer sailing,if you have an oven in the motorhome your very up market, like me!! 😉

I put my mast on the roof but my side bars turn in at the front so the mast is supported about 8ft apart and to one side of the van.
    This is fine but I will need to bring the mast in towards the van centre as the spreaders hang over the side.

I did not like the idea of the mast on a long support,seen them snap off in the past being so high up with the mast swinging about in the wind.

Maybe you could make a long support that fixes to the rack and also the ladder at the rear.

Its a nice way to travel with the boat and as long as you have a good engine size your get about fine!
    6mt van and 5.5mt boat just fits into the lower sizes on the ferry and use Norfolk Ferries to cross the gap,very good prices !!

Any other questions,just ask.

C P 😀

Cuatro

Thanks for that really helpful advice. I can get about 8 feet of support if I do as you suggest and use the ladder at the back and fit an additional transverse bar at the front.

The mast foot will overhang at the rear because our Autosleeper Clubman is only 5.5 metres long and I think the mast is longer than that but it will be over the trailer.

Thanks again,
    Regards
    Owen
    Cuatro W9309

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Owen, Glad to help !!

I put my mast foot end in a mast end bag and have that end to the front of the van with very little overhang,the rest at the back.

The mast end bag holds all the halyards and chain plates and as it can catch the wind if put with the opening end facing forward,I turn the mast round as i have said.

Small Add, I sell these bags made by Banks.

I also use a flat cover with shroud and mast openings when away with the boat. i can then trail with it on the boat and still have a cover for the time away,two jobs,one cover.

Happy Trails,

C P 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Cuatro wrote:

Is a taller mast support on the trailer going to work with a 2.9 tall vehicle?

I used a taller mast support on my Moores combi trailer, but my van is only 2.5m high. Ideally I would also have had a mast support placed in the boat where the mast would normally go, to prevent the mast swaying from side to side. I did thousands of miles with this configuration!

I have carried the mast on J bars on the side of the van,but being about 8ft longer than the van I was always concerned about projections, particularly at the front when arriving at a junction. If you have a longer van (with an oven – Colin!) then that might not be a problem.

Richard

W10143

Hi all

I used a taller mast support on my Moores combi trailer, but my van is only 2.5m high. Ideally I would also have had a mast support placed in the boat where the mast would normally go, to prevent the mast swaying from side to side. I did thousands of miles with this configuration!

I have sucessfully towed my lady behind 3 different motorhomes now with the mast on the boat.

With the mast foot at the front of the trailer, a legal over hang of 1metre at the rear is achieved. To be ultra cautious, I also use a ‘flag’ at the mast tip.

The main advantage of this method is that you don’t have to derig the mast every time you tow.

HTH
    David

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.