Latest News: Forums Technical torqueedo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

hi
    has anyone had experience of a Torqueedo electric motor on a wayfarer.
    only used in sheltered water. i know they are expensive but i am looking for the advantages of lightness, integral battery and ease of stowage.
    regards
    charles clements

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Charles,

I have not had any personal experience of these, but have seen a number of videos on YouTube about them. One of the most surprising elements of them was the noise generated; admittedly not the same as a two-stroke but unexpectedly high.

Looking at the experiences of those people who have used them, they seem more suited to those taking short trips or fisherman using them for trolling. Not too sure the technology exists yet to provide the range for cruising or suitable power for emergency use, (at least not without additional v/heavy batteries).

I wonder if any places are offering trials??

Phil

Swiebertje
    Participant

Time for some highschool physics:

According to the Torqeedo web site one horsepower from an electrical engine is the same as 2 hp generated by a combustion engine. This makes my toes curl inside my shoes! One HP is one HP no matter how it is generated. 1 HP is 745 Watts PERIOD! 👿

After getting up to speed with my two HP Honda, I can throttle back to half throttle. Getting to that speed at half throttle is possible but would take longer. So for discussion sake let’s assume 1 hp (745 watts) is sufficient to push a Wayfarer to its hull speed. The Torqeedo closest to 1 HP is the Travel 801 model which is a 800 watt motor. (It has 350 watts [=0.5 HP] propulsion power according to Torqeedo 😕 ) At 12 volts it needs 800 / 12 = 66 Amps. If you want to use it for an hour a battery of 66 Ah is needed. Oh no, hold on, we can only drain a battery 80% otherwise we may damage it. So in real life we need a 66 / 0.80 = 83 Ah battery for using the Torqeedo for one hour. In fact it is even worse as standard battery capacities are given at C/10 (10 hour discharge current). At 66 amps the capacity is far less. From a table (found on the internet) I read that we need at least a 105 Ah type battery for 57 minutes of power.

The weight of such a battery is around 30 kg. Add to that the considerable weight of the Torqeedo motor of 8 kg, the total package weighs a whopping 38 kg. My Honda 2 HP weighs 12 kg and for an hour at half throttle it needs 1 liter of gasoline. Total weight: 13 kg.

The suggested (build in) battery would give you 15 minutes of power at best but I would not be surprised if you run out of power in less then ten minutes. The weight of that combination is 11.5 kg, just under the 13 kg of my 2.2 Honda with a full fuel tank. By the way, if I would like to run my engine for five hours I would still only have 12 + 4 = 16 kg on board. (Assumed that gasoline weighs 800 gr / liter).

The only advantage I see is that some of the weight could be shifted forward. The battery could be placed near the centerboard but still I rather have my 13 kg at the transom then the 38 kg of an electric motor.

Having seen the Torqeedo web site I have the impression that it is typical American, they don’t tell you the whole truth but they don’t lie either. They like to juggle with power figures. The web site does not explain why a combustion HP is less then an electrical HP. Obviously it is the same, a HP is a HP regardless how it is generated 🙄 . Fortunately you can use a little highschool physics on the given figures and that should get you on track for a good descision.

Or to make it easy: For the same weight you get a fraction of the power and for only 10 minutes.

Ohw, did I mention you need some serious copper wire for 66 Amp’s? Like two times 10 square mm, four times thicker then the thickest wire used in your home, for example by your washing machine.

Now, for cost…..

Anonymous
    Inactive

just to say that i took delivery of 801 torqueedo last week. It does the job ,getting us back in sheltered waters when the wind disappears at night.
    Simple to use and quiet.Packed in a bag can be carried in one hand and stored easily on wayfarer.
    just what i wanted
    regards
    charles clements

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Charles,

Great to see that the Torqueedo is everything you hoped it would be.

Have you managed to use it enough to get some idea of figures at all? For example, full charge to empty gives 30 mins at half power etc.

It will be interesting to see how it performs pushing a W as I suspect this is at the larger end of its vessel range.

Phil

BluTak
    Participant

mailspeed marine website directs you to reviews by sailing today and also practical boatowner. Having recently looked into an electric trike for a disabled friend I know that batteries have come on leaps and bounds. though the new lithium ones are incredibly expensive they also have an amazing performance.I hope the reviews are of interest
    Robert

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.