Latest News: Forums Technical topping lift

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am considering putting a topping lift on my MKII Wayfarer. Has anyone installed one of these before. Is there room at the top where the main halyard is to put another roller?

Thanks

I think there’s only one sheave at the top so you’d need to fit a cheek block to the outside of the masthead if you wanted another line up there. My boat has a little one for a burgee halyard. yes I know, its sweet!

I’ve only used a topping lift when sails are furled, when moored or motoring, and the main halyard does a lovely job of this. Most boom ends have a clip you can pop the line into, or you can loop it through the outhaul. Modest tension in the kicker and main sheet (centre) seemed enough to stabilise the boom side/side (mainly I think through the tension transferred into the bridle). I’ve also heard other folk talk if using the spinnaker halyard for the same purpose: your mast has (or should have) sheaves at the hounds and a third sheave at the foot for that, even if you don’t have a spnnaker halyard rigged just now.

probably like everything else in wayfaring there’ll be several different ideas on this one! Also depends on what you want it for.

all best

Boris – Delphy W6330

PeterW3035

I just use my reefing lines to lift the end of the boom but leave the main fixed at the gooseneck.

Does the job easily without the need for any additional bits of string 8)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Peter
    Does that not mean then that once the main is dropped then so is the boom?

I have just purchased a couple of cheek blocks as per advice from Andrew and hope to fit them soon. Most of my sailing will be cruising so a topping lift is really handy plus it is an alternative option of de-powering the main without actually dropping it. Pity that there was not an additional sheave option though.

Thanks Andrew for the advice earlier, I found a couple of cheek blocks on ebay that should do nicely, just need to make a decision now on rivets or self-tappers. I guess rivets as the top of the mast is quiet thin and self-tappers may foul the main halyard. Any thoughts on this? I will probaly neet to also attach a couple of guides for the topping lift halyard just ensure halyard has a tidy run.

Lovely…. lots of boaty bits to do

PeterW3035

@lodds wrote:

Peter
    Does that not mean then that once the main is dropped then so is the boom?

No not at all, this should make it clear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uOwJQ_5X7M

Hopefully far better than any words, just follow the first part to lift the end of the boom before the main halliard is released and the tack pulled down to it’s reefed position. The slab reefing system shown is basically how I have mine set up. Details are on the web somewhere.

So no need to add any more fittings to the mast or boom, just cleat off the reefing line when the boom gets up in the air.

Hope that helps

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi,

I think there’s a bit of confusion here, but nothing too serious. Depending on your reasons for wanting a topping lift you may find you can achieve the desired effect without adding anything to your mast, but if you do fix a block I would recommend rivets rather than screws.

The thing is, if your mainsail is hoisted, you can lift the boom via your reefing lines as already described, and if it isn’t hoisted, you have a main halyard available to lift your boom for whatever reason. So no extra topping lift required, unless I’ve missed something obvious? The fewer bits of string the better, it seems to me. (This latter point is amply illustrated every so often, when we get our main halyard tucked in behind the cheek block near the top of the mast which was put there to carry a lanyard for the masthead buoyancy device that we seldom use. Much cursing and gnashing of teeth etc).

PeterW3035

Lodds, having re-read your post maybe I’m confused

@lodds wrote:

Peter
    Most of my sailing will be cruising so a topping lift is really handy plus it is an alternative option of de-powering the main without actually dropping it.

have you not got provision for reefing on your main?

If the aim is to depower the main by scandalising it, then the only way to do this is with a topping lift. A reefing line can lift the boom, but the upper part of the sail will remain tensioned and therefore powered up.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes I have provision for reefing, thats just another advantage of the topping lift where the boom remains in place whilst reefing. I think there are a number of advantages for having this extra halyard and other than having an extra bit of string as someone put it I am unable to think of anything else negative.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.