Latest News: Forums Technical Toe Straps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a MK1 GRP, which I’m in the process of gradually renovating and improving for club racing. I’m just looking at how I can improve the toe straps as they are completely hopeless in their present form.

As the boat came, it was fitted with two old car seat belts which were “secured” at the rear with a short rope strop to the centre of the floor…

They then went through a loose clamp under the thwart, and were then fixed to the tabernacle with a simple knot!

I need to make them more secure, easier to “find”, and ideally adjustable. What’s the normal method of anchoring the ends of the straps? I can fairly easily tidy the front up by making some screw clamps to fix them to the sides of the tabernacle I guess, but I’m not sure what to do at the back.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think this one is quite simple, but watch the replies come in to tell me I’m wrong.

You could pass a loop of webbing from aft of the mast foot down to the back of the boat and through the ‘hole’ under the keel ‘stringer’ and back up to the mast fastening the open ends under a screw clamp.

Or reverse this and use a screw clamp to fasten the bight end by the mast and at the aft end. If you sew loops into the footstraps you could fasten one end with bulleyes and string.

Whichever you do you will need to do something to keep them under tension. Simplest is a small fairlead under the thwart which you pass thin bungee through and tie around the strap. This keeps the strap accessible but allows a bit of give. Some folks also like to use a loop of bungee near the helms position to tie the straps together. This keeps them off the floor and accessible.

I’m going to my boat this weekend. I’ll try and remember to take a picture of my setup to show you what we’ve got. Hope this was a helpful start.

Martyn

Anonymous
    Inactive

Had a look at my boat this w/e but forgot to take the camera. But thought I’d update with what I now know rather than remember. The forward end is clamped with a screw clamp, the aft end is looped through some ‘string’ that then goes to a bullseye fairlead, plus they are lifted from the floor by use of bungee secured to the seats.

Simple eh?

Martyn

Anchor low down (on the floor somewhere).
    Do NOT anchor above the floor – or else you will at some time stand on them and leave your foot wobbling around in space…. Not a good way of balancing in a moving boat!
    Hold them up off the floor with elastic.
    If you can anchor one or both ends with a good metal clam cleat and a line, then you can adjust them easily for different size crews or different locations / wind strengths.

Swiebertje
    Participant

I was out sailing today and accidentally took a camera along. Here are some pictures, with apologies to the web master for filling his disk space, that show a toe strap setup as made by Ian Porter.

A bit dark; the toe straps are connected to a bolted bullseye by a rope purchase with a plastic rope stopper over the end. The piece of red bungee across the boat hold the toe straps up and tight.

This picture shows how the toe strap is attached to the thwart with an RWO “toe strap anchor plate” and two bolts. The self locking nuts beneath the thwart have penny washers.

The front toe strap. The construction is the same as the rear, a rope purchase, a bullseye and a ball stopper.

Attachment to the thwart is identical to the rear toe strap. No bungee used here for both attachment points are high enough to keep the toe strap up without bungee.

Always use separate front and rear straps. I will most certainly launch my wife when I hang my 125 kg in the balance on a continues strap. Not a good thing for the marriage! Having separated straps also allows the crew to make it s own adjustments that depend on his or her leg length. With a continues strap, no matter how well it is adjusted, at least one of the crew is uncomfortable but usually both are.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

One thing I do not like about the plastic ball rope stoppers is that if they ever reach the floorboards and you stand on them they hurt like H..L but also act as a large ball bearing under your foot and send you ” Transom over Bow ” out of the boat or into a hard object.
    Dont Use Them Myself if I can stand on them in any way.

CP ๐Ÿ™‚

Swiebertje
    Participant

@Colin Parkstone wrote:

One thing I do not like about the plastic ball rope stoppers is that if they ever reach the floorboards and you stand on them they hurt like H..L but also act as a large ball bearing under your foot and send you ” Transom over Bow ” out of the boat or into a hard object.
    CP ๐Ÿ™‚

You have a point Collin. I have them looped through the rope purchase to avoid exactly what you mention. Other then that I still fail to see how this construction helps me to adjust them fast and easy. ๐Ÿ˜• Until now I untied the knot at the end (in the plastic ball) and re-tied it to adjust. I have also tried to just pull the plastic stopper. The rope then jams more or less in itself but after a while it loosens again. So, that can’t be the intended use, or? ๐Ÿ˜•

I am considering servo cleats on the bulkhead instead so I can re-adjust even while sailing with a flick of the rope. ๐Ÿ˜€ Any better suggestions?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Swiebertje wrote:

@Colin Parkstone wrote:

CP ๐Ÿ™‚

You have a point Collin. I have them looped through the rope purchase to avoid exactly what you mention. Other then that I fail to see how this construction helps me to adjust them fast and easy. ๐Ÿ˜• Until now I untied the knot at the end (in the plastic ball) and re-tied it to adjust. I have also tried to just pull the plastic stopper. The rope then jams more or less in itself but after a while it loosens again. So, that can’t be the intended use, or? ๐Ÿ˜•

I am considering servo cleats on the bulkhead instead so I can re-adjust even while sailing with a flick of the rope. ๐Ÿ˜€ Any better suggestions?

‘Tis difficult to come up with a simple way of adjusting toe strap length without any risk of it slipping under load, which is partly why I posted the question in the first place!

Many thanks for the comprehensive replies and help guys. I think I will go with a similar setup to Swiebertje. I’ve already fixed mine under the thwart where previously they could slide and that has made things much better.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.