Latest News: Forums Cruising To Calshot rally participants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi. 🙂 Jealously studying the rally piks I felt inspired to ask the following question…….I am debating whether to invest in some kind of mast head bouyancy for when I (we) sail without the kids and might be more adventurous. Obviously the forecast for the rally was light winds but I am curious what percentage of the participants use some sort of device when conditions are a bit more lively. ❓ Guestimates are welcome but I have put a poll question since 22 Wayfarers is a good sample. (Obviously coming to a rally to debate this would have been preferable ……).
    Thanks in advance for any replies. Non-Calshot rally participants feel free to vote/reply but I am trying to ask Mr. and Mrs. Typical Wayfarer Cruiser not the Ocean crossing Gods! 😯 (Hope that hasn’t offended any Gods or people who hate to be categorised as Typical 😈
    (Note the only poll I have seen on the forum allows you to remain anonymous unless you put up a reply to the posting aswell)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Dave

I have recently become a keen day sailor. My opinion (for what it is worth) is this.

Every time i go out onto the sea, I realise another thing that may potentially be dangerous or even fatal.

If by investing in some bouyancy, you save your own or the lives of others, particularly your family, how can you not invest in such a thing?

I have decided to spend some dosh on a Secumar device after attending the excellent rally at Calshot, organised by Jenny and John.

regards
    Jim

Anonymous
    Inactive

I always use it when at sea.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Dave. After capsizing my Mk1A on an inland lake 3 times in as many months when sailing it single-handed, I got a pocket for foam sewn in the peak and a second row of reef-points put in. I intend to use my Wayfarer for cruising and I find that she goes completely inverted just a little too easily.

The job of righting single-handed from 90 degrees is MUCH easier and quicker than from 180 degrees, eg if you need to get the mainsail down. If you have any doubts, go for it. Just be aware that the automatic gas thingies only work once until you refill them, hence my choice of foam.

Keith

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.