Latest News: Forums General Timber suppliers

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jonathan Jenkins 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • AUTHOR

I’ve just bought some strips of iroko for a rubbing strake and thought I’d recommend the company that supplied them – http://www.timbercut4u.co.uk (I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied customer). They can supply in 2.7m lengths, long enough to do each side with just one joint. I bought 6 lengths as it was only slightly more expensive than 4, total £29 delivered.

Just for future reference I would be interested to know if anyone else can recommend any other timber suppliers.

Jonathan
    W2312
    Shuna

BluTak
    Participant

Robbins Timber – Bristol. Have just about everything and excellent postal service but are a tad expensive. Have good web site. Robert

JoJo

Sounds promising – thanks Jonathan – what dimensions did you order – did you have a rounded profile made and how much shaping is required – I am afraid my woodworking education was only for two years at Grammar School 45 years ago – is it a job for a DIY bodger or should I ask a boatbuilder to fit them?

I ordered 12mm x 30mm. It was mentioned in the rubbing strake thread that something a bit thicker – around 19mm – might be preferable, but the 12mm was certainly easy enough to bend and fit to the shape of the boat and so far I’m quite happy with them. The material was not supplied as a rounded profile, I just rounded off the top outer edge slightly with sandpaper. Difficult to advise whether you should fit it yourself or not but in a nutshell I cut a 45deg angle on the f’wd end to fair it into the bow, lined up the material with the gunwhale, drilled and countersunk, and then attached with self tappers, sealing the holes into the bouyancy tanks. I treated them before and after fitting with teak oil. Like everything, other people will have done it in different ways, but I just tried just to keep it as simple as possible. Good luck!

Jonathan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.