Latest News: Forums Technical Tiller / rudder self-steering

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AUTHOR

Hi All,

Can anyone please help with advice for some way of keeping the tiller in position whilst I get the main reefed. At the moment I have a bungee cord across the rear hatch and clip this onto a hook under the tiller, which works sort of ok but wondered if there was a better solution.

Ta.

Laurie
    W1858

krgough
    Participant

Hi,

Check this out – I’ve not tried it but I was thinking about giving this a go…

http://www.dca.uk.com/articles/himpeder.htm

http://www.freedom21.info/F21HelmImpeder.pdf

BTW – I seem to have done a fair amount of reefing this year – is it me of has it been a windier than usual year.

I found that if we heave to and get the boat stopped and lift the center board, then we can pretty much let go the tiller and work at the mast. With the centre board up if a gust comes the boat only heels a little and it’s all fairy tame and under control. There’s a fair bit of sideways drift.

The biggest problem I’ve had in the Solent is that there are so many bloomin boats and some of them don’t seem to understand that when you are heaved too that you are not under way and that you can’t easily get out of their way. Fair enough if it’s a ferry but not if the plonker bearing down on you is in a yacht or a dinghy.

I bet now someone will point out that there is some clause in the col regs that says it’s all my fault 🙂

regards

Keith

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Laurie,

I suspect the following from Trident may be a similar thing to what you are after whilst also being of benefit/adjustable when sailing???.

It would be interesting to know what experience people have had of this and the systems above

http://shop.trident-uk.com/sailing/product-Tiller_Tamer-1_MD181405.html

Swiebertje
    Participant

Hi,
    Check out the pics of the tiller in my recent post on the Cruising forum showing Frank Dye’s tiller on W48. Food for thought perhaps, maybe if miniaturised/modernised. I looked for vestiges of missing fittings on the stern when I was there, but couldn’t quite work out the full system.
    Regards
    David

bfennema

“I bet now someone will point out that there is some clause in the col regs that says it’s all my fault”.

You made me curious – I googled for heave to rights and found people recommend heaving to on starboard tack so you have some protection.

I seem to recall that unlike heave to, but similarly not moving due to being head to wind, you lose most rights.

Naval law is interesting ….

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think your best bet is to be hove to. In order to keep the wind out of the sails, I don’t think you’d want the tiller anything but to leeward. A cheap way of keeping it there is to tie a hitch around from the end of the mainsheet traveller. Works every time for me. I am at heart a real miser.

Martyn

I must admit to liking cheap & cheerful as well. I have a bungee sail tie (e.g.tiga tie) looped loosely round each rear bench right at the aft end. These serve various purposes, such as tidying up the sail if we are at anchor with a topping lift on. I can also loop one around the tiller (extension clipped down to tiller) and tighten it’s cleat to hold tiller to leeward either side for heaving to, or loop both round, one from either side to hold it in the middle. Fine adjustment can be made by tightening/loosening the cleats on the ties. Not elegant but can be set up in seconds with stuff you can buy cheaply.
    David

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.