Latest News: Forums Technical The Position of Halyard Cleats

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Fundoctor

Dear Farers

My boat currently has cleats for the Main and Jib Halyards located on either side of the mast about 6 inches above deck level. I have noted the jib sheets snagging on these a bit. A friend says I should site them as show on his boat below. Does the forum have any views on the location of such cleats?

Trevor
    W9002

[attachment=0:30hhouyu]Cleat positioning.jpg[/attachment:30hhouyu]

I used to have a tabernacle-mounted cleat for the main halyard, but decided to put it on the mast itself eventually. I put it up as high as I could, just below the gooseneck.
    I had two main reasons for the switch:
    – it keeps the mast and its running rigging self-contained, making dropping the mast that little bit quicker (also less of a disaster if you forget that the mast is still attached to the hull half way through lowering!)
    – the greater exposed length of halyard makes it much easier to ‘sweat up’ and get good tension. This is very helpful when setting a reef underway, when I don’t remove the boom from the gooseneck.

I’ve never noticed the genoa sheet catch on the cleat in this position; I think it did occasionally catch on the old cleat. A bigger problem was the sheet catching round the front ends of the benches (this on a MkI Composite).

Fundoctor

Thanks ND – good point – I have an third cleat (currently for the spinnaker hyard) which is higher up the mast and there is no snagging there. Keen to hear positioning of other members – I think people are off sailing now though,

Trevor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.