Latest News: Forums General Tents and dodgers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Andrew Staampton
    Participant

Hello all,

I’m wondering does anyone have any up to date info on Canvas Tent Makers in UK , whom has measurements to make tent and/or spray dodger remotely and I’ll fit.

Thanks in advance

Andy

john1162
    Participant

Hi Andy,

Are you wanting to make your own tent and dodger?  There has not been a maker of Wayfarer tents for many a year. I have started making them on a small scale but it is not my business.  In the technical section of our site there is a link to making your own tent from two Vango flysheets.

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Andy,

I look after the Association’s tents, so I am quite often asked about this. I always recommend having a go at making your own, as it’s the best way to ensure that your tent fits your boat and matches your requirements, balancing simplicity and lightness against sophistication and space.

The first tent that I made was my first ever project with a sewing machine, which I bought for £100 (and subsequent sold for about £60 after several years of varied use).

More recently I have adopted a simpler design of ridge tent using the fabric lengthwise, seamed along the boom. Other than any side doors the tent is made from just two pieces of cloth. Personally I prefer a door on each side, aft of the thwart. A scissors-style boom crutch can be cut from a 2.4m length of timber.

A permanent bridle just under the gunwhale is a must, with the tent secured to it with velcro tapes. (A suggestion that I haven’t yet tried is to run the velcro from the outer bottom edge of the tent, round the bridle and up into the tent. This is to stop the wind from lifting the lower edge).

Even if you would prefer to persuade someone else to do the sewing I would still recommend using your boat as a “tailor’s dummy”. A prototype using plastic groundsheet or even old bed sheets, stapled or taped together might be useful.

Good luck, and have a go!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.