Latest News: Forums Racing Tacktick compasses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AUTHOR

Just a query……….according to the tacktick website (http://www.tacktick.com), there are two digital compasses suitable for dinghies, the Micro compass (expensive at almost £300) and the Racemaster (lottery winning scale, over £500). The Micro compass seems to be permitted by all classes, the racemaster is apparently allowed by the Wayfarer class – is this correct? It is an all singing all dancing intelligent compass, which is not permitted by some classes (470, Enterprise, Fireball, Laser etc etc…….).

Does anyone have experience of the Micro Compass? Advice / Feedback would be good,

Thanks,

Trevor

Fantasia

Both the Micro and the Racemaster are class legal. I have no experience with the Racemaster and it looks rather too complex for me; but I have used a micro for quite a number of years for racing. I find it simple to use and gives good information on wind shifts, start line bias and the timer function is great for starts. Mine cost a lot less than £300, but it probably gives you more gain in your racing than a new genoa for instance.

I am in fact on my second micro as the first one failed to keep its charge after about three years+ (outside waranty period). Tactick sold me a new one at half price to compensate and that one has lasted about five years without a problem.

Swiebertje
    Participant

35.3 Electrically operated instruments or mechanisms. All electrical or electronic devices or instruments are prohibited except for watches, compasses and equipment for the recording of sound or pictures, unless otherwise permitted or required by the Sailing Instructions.

I believe that under rule 35.3 a strong argument could be made against the use of a micro Tacktick sailing computer. But since it has been in wide spread use for a long time, I shall not be the one to start such a discussion. Having said that, I would like to suggest that any device that can do things beyond what a Micro Tacktic sailing computer can do, should be prohibited under rule 35.3.

Opinions?

Fantasia

@Swiebertje wrote:

35.3 Electrically operated instruments or mechanisms. All electrical or electronic devices or instruments are prohibited except for watches, compasses and equipment for the recording of sound or pictures, unless otherwise permitted or required by the Sailing Instructions.

I believe that under rule 35.3 a strong argument could be made against the use of a micro Tacktick sailing computer. But since it has been in wide spread use for a long time, I shall not be the one to start such a discussion. Having said that, I would like to suggest that any device that can do things beyond what a Micro Tacktic sailing computer can do, should be prohibited under rule 35.3.

Opinions?

The Tactick Micro is a compass and a timepiece, that’s all, it is not a computer and therefore is allowable under that rule. I think that the same goes for the racemaster, but I do not know enough about that particular instrument.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

I think your find the Racemaster does a lot more that Beep the Time and Point Your Heading.

We used to have a very nice couple of gin swilling sailors in the fleet who never sailed that well without a Racemasteer and a clear head !

And the price alone should ban it at over £500.00!!!

Now a carbon spi pole,thats more like it !

C P 🙂

Swiebertje
    Participant

@John Hartley wrote:

The Tactick Micro is a compass and a timepiece, that’s all, it is not a computer and therefore is allowable under that rule. I think that the same goes for the racemaster, but I do not know enough about that particular instrument.

A Tacktick Micro race compass as you call it, constantly compares the boats heading against a preset heading, detects changes in heading while on a beat and gives audible warnings when there is a header (or lull). AFAIK no ordinary magnetic compass do this. It involves computing and comparisons (a microprocessor is one of its components), in other words it is a (simple) sailing computer. Sailors using a magnetic compass can only detect a header on their compass by watching it all the time and see if the numbers change. This is a task the Tacktick micro performs for you, hence it is more then an ordinary compass. If the Tacktick Micro is not a sailing computer, then what is?

But as I stated before: Let’s allow it because it is already used for many years throughout the fleet. But it should stop here, let’s not allow more functions then a Tacktick Micro provides. If not, we will soon see big GPS based sailing computers, VHF’s to talk to the shore crew, weather receivers and what not. I don’t think we should want such “America’s cup” like developments. Such equipment is already available in packages small and light enough to fit in a Wayfarer.

Fantasia

@Swiebertje wrote:

A Tacktick Micro race compass as you call it, constantly compares the boats heading against a preset heading, detects changes in heading while on a beat and gives audible warnings when there is a header (or lull). AFAIK no ordinary magnetic compass do this. It involves computing and comparisons (a microprocessor is one of its components), in other words it is a (simple) sailing computer. Sailors using a magnetic compass can only detect a header on their compass by watching it all the time and see if the numbers change. This is a task the Tacktick micro performs for you, hence it is more then an ordinary compass. If the Tacktick Micro is not a sailing computer, then what is?

But as I stated before: Let’s allow it because it is already used for many years throughout the fleet. But it should stop here, let’s not allow more functions then a Tacktick Micro provides. If not, we will soon see big GPS based sailing computers, VHF’s to talk to the shore crew, weather receivers and what not. I don’t think we should want such “America’s cup” like developments. Such equipment is already available in packages small and light enough to fit in a Wayfarer.

I think that you might be confusing the Micro compass with the Racemaster. The Micro only gives a heading, no audible beeps apart from timer, it does have a tactic function, but that is really only a damper that only allows the reading to change after a preset shift (say 5 degree).

I agree that we should not allow any more complex electronics.

Swiebertje
    Participant

On the other hand, it is great fun to give the National champ a call on his mobile ten seconds before the gun…… 😈

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Not if he is at the wrong end of the line and you dont have the mob number of the guy at the pin end !!!

CP 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.