Latest News: Forums Cruising Summer Holiday destinations with the kids

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Dave Bevan

Looking for some sheltered coastal W sailing with the family for our summer holiday this year.

Current experience is mainly inland (Grafham water & the Broads), but looking for somewhere different this year.

I like the idea of sailing to a sheltered beach where we can anchor/beach the boat, and the kids can play for a few hours! Originally I was thinking Poole Harbour, but Chichester Harbour also appeals (more sand, less mud?). They’ll be 3 and 6 years, so short interesting passages are essential.

Any recommendations? We’ll be looking for local camping too

I’m biased as I grew up there, but I would highly recommend Torbay –

Sailing is sheltered esp from prevailing W or SW winds
    Launching is easy from any of the three harbours
    Lots of beaches to explore within the bay (mostly sandy, no mud)
    Plenty of other non sailing activities and attractions in the area
    Wide choice of campsites
    Nearby River Dart is great for exploring by W, either trail to Totnes or Galmpton to launch or if you’re up for it sail round from Brixham.

Alternatively Plymouth Sound or Falmouth would be good options.

Hope you find something suitable and have a great holiday!

Cheers
    Jonathan
    W8866
    Dumdum

Sea Lancer

Dave

Poole is excellent and has the advantages of being close to Bournemouth, Weymouth, Swanage and loads of places of interest. Have a look at the links ref accomodation etc and please email me for more information. Visit parkstonewayfarers.co.uk

Glynne Marples Wayfarer Vice Captain PYC

Accomodation

South Lytchett Manor campsite (20 mins drive) has been used by many Wayfarer sailors in the past: http://www.southlytchettmanor.co.uk tel: 01202 622577.

Self catering is more difficult, particularly at the time of year of this event. We suggest contacting the Poole Tourist office: http://www.pooletourism.com/atozlisting_accom. … acestostay?

Parkstone Yacht Club have an accommodation list – call the office on 01202 743610

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have a think about attending the Gathering at Ullswater

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Dave
    Chichester Harbour is where we sail as a family (since the twins were 2)as it is nearest sheltered sailing from Brighton. It is glorious when you get the weather ……. it is a busy place for recreational sailing and East Head is a fantastic sandy spot (as is the upmarket West Wittering beach behind) Of course there are strong tides too so outboards and timing your swimming are issues however that does not put people off and Bank Holidays can be “mentally” busy……. I have never beached on the huge sandy flats exposed at low tide as there is no shelter but providing the wind does not suddenly get up and create onshore waves you could have acres of space. We go to a few favourite campsites on the East side of the harbour (nr Itchenor and West Wittering)and have camped on Hayling but camping is more limited there. There is plenty of mud in the harbour but I have yet to sail at Poole to compare……..it sounds beautiful too). At high tide sailing up to Bosham, Dell Quay and Langstone are great options for pubs and scenery but definitely not bucket and spade spots (maybe collecting mud and seaweed in wellies along the high water mark). Going out into the Solent is up to you and the young crew, we tend to poke our nose out and then bottle it. If you want to know anything else send me a P.M….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sandbanks, just west of Bornemouth and Poole harbour and near Swanage. You can launch from the NT beach and keep your boat there for a relatively small charge. Or, sometimes you can join Swanage Sailing club for a week and sail from there, if they have room.
    We camped at Woody Hyde and spend many a happy hour with our young children there.
    Lots to do in Swanage and local area. Steam train, Walks, arcades, shops, pubs, sandy beach.

Paul Henley
    W 9362

Anonymous
    Inactive

Spent last summer at Falmouth with a 3 and 6 year old. We had a fantastic time. There are innumerable possibilities for short day sails and the area is generally very sheltered rather than windless. Also if the weather doesn’t perform the area has a great number of possibilities for days out. My kids loved Pendennis castle (English Heritage rather than stuffy National Trust). There are good choices for slipways. Loe Beach is very popular, though the tight, steep drive down scared me off. We launched from Mylor. You can pay to leave the boat there for the week at reasonable rates. We stayed at Carnon Downs campsite. Can’t recommend it enough. The facilities are second to none, the staff were very friendly and the pitches were enormous.

I know its a long way but give it a go.

Martyn

popeye

You might like to consider Christchurch area just east of Bournemouth. Launch at Christchurch or Mudeford, good sheltered sailing in Christchurch harbour or sail out into Christchurch bay and round to the beautiful sandy beaches of Southbourne, perfect for children. Plenty of local attractions if weather turns. New Forest campsites or plenty of accommodation in local area. Wishing you all the best with your holiday plans.

Dave Bevan

Thanks for all your replies, you’ve certainly whet our appetite, and I don’t think we can wait ’til the summer – we’ll be trying for a camping/sailing trip to the south coast at the Mayday bank holiday (school inset days can be good for parents too!). Now just need to think about Tides, VHF, Anchors, Outboards etc!

Dave Bevan

Despite some trepidation , we eventually had a great week sailing from Itchenor, on Chichester harbour in August, with spring tides and steady light winds – even if the weather wasn’t great. Hope you enjoy the attached video – Charlotte and Sam loved sailing to the beach at East Head & for Ice Creams at Bosham, even though it doesn’t look like it! We poked our nose out of the harbour against a rising tide but were deterred by the red flags on West Wittering Beach!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice one Dave. Kids look comfy! Shame the weather couldn’t be more obliging. East Head can be a (crowded) paradise.
    We went to soggy Salcombe in Devon. Massive swell prevented any possibility of escaping out beyond the entrance to the “estuary” so we went to the little beaches opposite, (East Portlemouth) hardly a great distance but very scenic. Sea was freezing to swim in but at least we had a “low tide week” as high tides cover the beach and you would be seriously cramped if you could get on the beach at all. Kept the boat at Batson Creek (excellent) and although weather was generally rubbish, it was regatta week but still not too crowded. I guess had the sun come out……..
    We then moved camp to a hill near Fowey Cornwall and had intentions there until a TV forecast of 60mph gusts forced the boring but wise decision to strike camp and stay at mother in laws…..having researched Mylor (Falmouth) on the basis of this forum I would like to have gone there but too far (?) from mother in law……..(another year with better weather I hope) 60_1160708_203_1.jpg
    . Will illustrate Salcombe better with a couple more piks later (forgottoen how to do it)
    cheers Dave

W10143

Dave

Is this what you meant?

David

Anonymous
    Inactive

Too many Daves……………
    anyhow Dave………how you do that?? Clicking on the link doesn’t work for me and I couldn’t see it on the UKWA members bit (were you in Salcombe too?) Thanks for your help anyway.
    I know the image was oversize so the other piks I am going to try now (that show soggy Salcombe better) should follow here

W10143

Dave

I copied just the link and pasted between 2 ‘[img]’%20tags.%20%20Your%20original%20link%20had%20an%20′[/img]’ tag at the end followed by ” on the next line and should have been ‘‘.

If you preview all your posts, problems like that should show up.

David

Dave Bevan

Great Photo’s Dave/David
    Another destination to put on my must-do list, which also includes Falmouth. They’re just so far to tow, probably a good reason to go for two weeks 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.