Latest News: Forums Technical Spreader set-up

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Whitley 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR

Mark Whitley
    Participant

My boat is a Westerly Mk11, which I bought in the summer. When sailing I noticed the mast was straight, bordering on bending back in the centre which is definitely not right. I checked the spreaders and found them to be 10mm short according to the Wayfarer Book. I got some new ones and made a jig to the dimensions given but can’t get them to work. Best I can get with the length and angle is that the distance from the mast is about 20mm greater.

So, has anyone had the same problem and how have you solved it or, are the dimensions given in the book incorrect?

Mark

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

Hi Mark – have you checked out the rig tuning article in the Tech section (here)? It’s pretty detailed, but the key points to note are that the measurements are a guide, and it’s the outcome which is important.

The spreader length and angle can only provide the pre-bend you’re looking for if everything else is correct too. For example, the rig tension needs to be correct, and even then, if the pivot pin is preventing the mast from bending no amount of tension or spreader adjustment will work!

Are you saying that the mast is now showing 20 mm of pre-bend? That’s not too far below the minimum recommended, so I would check the rig tension and ensure that the pivot pin isn’t binding in the tabernacle. If in doubt work through the process using the flowchart. Make notes!

Mark Whitley
    Participant

Thanks Dave, the 20mm I’m talking about is from the back edge of the mast track to an imaginary line between the shrouds. Just seems like the dimensions given aren’t achievable, so I guess which are the most important? Length and angle?

Dave Barker
    Keymaster

OK – well I’m baffled by that. Just playing around with a pencil and paper for a few minutes and guessing at the diameter of the mast, I’ve ended up with figures much closer to the published ones.

Can I just make sure we’re talking about the same dimensions – here’s a rough sketch of where the measurements are taken:-

Does that look about right?

Mark Whitley
    Participant

Thanks for your comments Dave, I’ll double check what I’m getting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.