Latest News: Forums Racing Splashaway 27th Sept

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • AUTHOR
    Participant

The famous Splashaway open is nearly here, the racing is interesting and the social on Saturday is renowned for being a blast – coupled with the 50th anniversary I’m sure it will be a weekend to remember. Camping available on site, Breakfast available on Sunday morning, We do have a limited amount of accommodation available with club members if needed (please contact me via PM if needed). Please check on the website http://www.utsc.org.uk for the NOR and more details.

Liam

Martin
    Well done at Datchet. Shame there wasn’t a Wayfarer team as planned.

Sue and i will be with you at Splashaway. We have kept our camper so will be stopping at the club thanks.
    Look forward to seeing you.

Liam
    W 10507

@Liam wrote:

Martin

There was a Wayfarer Team at Datchet! We were represented by Martin, plus Scott and Tony from Datchet and Kathy and me. We outnumbered the Miracles, GP14s and Merlin Rockets.

Kathy and I decided it was too rough to go out on Saturday, but the other three did. We joined in on Sunday and again demonstrated the superb recovery abilities of the Mark 4 Hartley Wayfarer after a capsize (twice).

We will be at the Splashaway which, of course is also the fourth event in the the National Circuit Series.

See you there!

Steve

@Liam wrote:

Martin

There was a Wayfarer Team at Datchet! We were represented by Martin, plus Scott and Tony from Datchet and Kathy and me. We outnumbered the Miracles, GP14s and Merlin Rockets.

Kathy and I decided it was too rough to go out on Saturday, but the other three did. We joined in on Sunday and again demonstrated the superb recovery abilities of the Mark 4 Hartley Wayfarer after a capsize (twice).

We will be at the Splashaway which, of course is also the fourth event in the the National Circuit Series.

See you there!

Steve

Anonymous
    Inactive

If I can persuade June (who tried swimming ashore last time we came) and also find something for the kids to do … and if my road trailer hasn’t rusted through … and/or if I give in to temptation and get a new Hartley … the Barkers may just be there to teach these young Collens a thing or two (Ha!)

Chough

Liam

Robin
    I have spare Wayfarer launch trolley that fits onto the Starcross Wayfarer club boat road base.
    If that isn’t possible I am sure between us we can source you a roadbase which will carry your trolley with boat onboard.
    Liam

W10507
    ‘Silver Lining’

Participant

@Chough wrote:

the Barkers may just be there to teach these young Collens a thing or two (Ha!)

Chough

Well I’d be happy for the ‘old’ Barker boat to show us the way round, I’m sure it’ll be a first 😆

Anonymous
    Inactive

Trailer sorted … now just accommodation (camping?), buoyancy test and kids entertainment to resolve.

Daniel (15, sailed a fair bit, but v small) would be happy to go Toppering or crewing maybe … Joanna probably happy to trolley dolly …

Robin

Scavenger

…certainly Sat, maybe Sun

bigal

In error I brought back rom the Skerries a pair of Gill sailing boots ,size 9-91/2 .
    Contact me on 01444 400607 and I’ll send them to you

Alan Chaplin

Liam

Looking at forecast, negligible wind for weekend.!!! Would I be right that you need at least 5 knots of wind to make headway against river flow to sail at upper thames?
    Am just wondering if all the packing up and making journey will be worthwhile for a drifter, especially if drifting against river flow is not possible?

Liam
    W10507
    ‘Silver Lining’

Participant

@Liam wrote:

Looking at forecast, negligible wind for weekend.!!! Would I be right that you need at least 5 knots of wind to make headway against river flow to sail at upper thames?
    Am just wondering if all the packing up and making journey will be worthwhile for a drifter, especially if drifting against river flow is not possible?

Liam
    W10507
    ‘Silver Lining’

Current should be moderate. You can sail on the river in pretty much any breeze, it does make it a little more tricky. Makes the Saturday night cocktails all the more enjoyable!

Liam

Sorry guys but 1-3 mph winds makes the journey unjustifiable. There are always competing priorities, so now the house window frames will at last get painted!

Hope you have a good party and sorry we will miss that. Regards to all and look forward to competing with you again soon.

Liam and Sue

Participant

Well the sun did shine and the wind decided that it was going to take the day off (or two!). Saturday was very light and the race team gave us one drifter with the promise of breeze on Sunday. Saturday night did not disappoint, the Caribbean evening with 80 people & steel band went down a treat (along with the UTSC Painkiller cocktail!) and we even had a guest Pirate! 😆
    Sunday morning dawned with fog in the valley (and in plenty of peoples heads) which burned off while we all had a late breakfast. Racing started at 13:00 and the light breeze decided to turn up, three races up the river gave us the complete series. In all I think we had 16 entries from all over the country who I hope at least enjoyed the hospitality, mabe next year the breeze will compliment the late summer!

Overall results, 1st Martin & Becky Collen, 2nd Phil & Sam Preston, 3rd Jim Grant & James Hoburn, 4th Ray and Jill Scragg, 5th Parkstone Pirate & Liz Spencer.

Colin Parkstone
    Participant

Your right Martin,why would you want to sail anywhere else on a sunny september day in England.

The man in charge of sun had alot of influence !!

The Women in charge of wind was having a day off sunbathing !!

And the bar persons have alot to answer for ?????

The vandals chose a VW this Open to have a go at,Thank goodness for that ???

Great weekend, Trains and Sheep to send you to sleep and a scene from some Victorian painting as we sat on the grass,eating cakes,ice cream and drinking what ever by the river Thames watching barges and boats of all types,floating past. Most Quaint !!

The Caribbean night was not a place for the faint hearted,great band with compulsory dancing, local punch that I am reporting to Health and Not so Safety and the longest pair of shapeIy legs I have seen for a some time. WOW!!

Thanks all for a great weekend,

Parkstone Pirate 😀 🙂 8) 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.