Latest News: Forums Technical Spinnaker Stuff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AUTHOR
    krgough
    Participant

Hi Folks,

I’ve just bought a spinnaker pole and all the kit to rig it. The spin halyard is not fitted and I need to thread a new one, so I have a couple of questions….

1) Are there any good tricks to threading a new halyard. I was planning to thread a leader by dangling a thin string with a nut on the end from the top and hopefully it will fall all the way down when I left the mast vertically?

2) There are 3 pulleys at the bottom of my mast – at present the jib is on the port side and the main is on the right. I was wondering if the main should actually be on the middle pulley and the spinnaker on the right so it can be led along the top of the starboard side of the CB case?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Keith

Anonymous
    Inactive

I seem to remember attaching my leading thread to the main halyard and drawing my jib halyard down the mast that way (ie hitching a lift)….then fishing out at the bottom………I had been going to do what you are suggesting but the space required to get a reasonable sized nut into the mast seemed prohibitive. Obviously the spin halyard will be a slightly different job.
    As a total amateur I have removed spin rigging off both a Wayfarer and a Wanderer but both boats have had the halyards in the blocks at the base of the mast as you describe. All the best

Anonymous
    Inactive

Either method should work for threading up a new halyard – but whatever you do make sure that the existing halyards are taut inside the mast. I have known a few instances where the existing wire halyards have been left slack and spiral round the inside of the mast. You then thread your new spinny halyard down the middle of this and all works well until you then pull the other sails up and all the halyards twist up together, leaving you wondering why you need to apply about 200lbs tension to pull the spinnaker up!

As regards the pulley block usage, I’d just go with whichever gives the best lead for all 3, but if you swap them over take the heel plug right off and have a good look up the mast (using a torch perhaps) to again ensure that none of the halyards are twisted up together on their way down.

Perhaps main halyard on one side, cleating onto a rack just above, then jib halyard in the middle onto a centrally mounted highfield lever, and spinny on the other side leading down the boat might work best?

krgough
    Participant

Thanks guys – using the main halyard to pull through a line seems like a top tip to me.

krgough
    Participant

Did the job tonight – used a big drill bit as a weight to drop a line down inside the mast. I ended up having to remove the mast foot to thread the pulley. It was a bit of a hastle.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.